'LGT' Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wouldn't dyeing the foam change the acoustic properties? Adding any type of dye would fill in some of the voids in the foam, changing whatever behavior it is supposed to have, or will the difference be so small as to be unnoticeable?

Those are some beautiful speakers. It’s been said a lot in this thread, but bears repeating. Gorgeous work!

[edit: my spelling stinks]

Surely grill gloth will be just as detrimental to the sonic properties as dye? TBH I wouldn't expect dye to do much to the sonic properties as it's just a low level pigment.

I say have a go with Dylon and see, if they get messed up I'm sure Mr Raal can send you some more :) For what it's worth, I have dyed headphone pads before with Dylon and they came out mint.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Looks like there's a few options to try out, which is good just in case one or two don't work out.

Rich I notice you've got the Crasher logo in you avatar now. Could you by any chance be a fellow dance fan? I can't get enough of the stuff myself.

I would try using some of the automotive vinyl/dash repair die. It comes in a spray can and is designed to impregnate plastics which the foam is. If the dye is light enough so as not to fill in the air spaces it should still function to a large degree.

You should only need the lightest coat to darken them.

ShinOBIWAN said:
Rich I notice you've got the Crasher logo in you avatar now. Could you by any chance be a fellow dance fan? I can't get enough of the stuff myself.

Yes been a fan for years. Fancied a change of avatar and in light of recent events thought it would be a good one to use :)

I even thought about bringing my decks up to the Fest, but thought nobody would be interested, LOL.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
richie00boy said:

Yes been a fan for years. Fancied a change of avatar and in light of recent events thought it would be a good one to use :)

I even thought about bringing my decks up to the Fest, but thought nobody would be interested, LOL.

Well there'll definitely be at least three heavy going dance fans there plus yourself. If I'd had the speakers finished for the meet I was planning to demo them entirely with dance because the audiophile quality tracks I have mostly bore me rigid.

Personally I love the idea of a mix session thrown in.

What sort of stuff are you into?

My cousin had a pair of SL1200 mk2 in the late nineties through to a couple of years ago and despite selling the decks he's still got all the vinyl, you just can't replace many of those especially the white labels and imports. This was a great time for trance with tracks from the likes of Moonman, Solar Stone, Gouryella(aka Tiesto) or anything on the Tsunami label.

In recent times the trance scene has declined or rather split into a more progressive sound rather than the uplifting tracks of old. If you do get some uplifting stuff then its generally a bit cheesy these days, although you do get the odd excellent track such as "Black Pearl - Bounty Island" and try to find DJ Shah's San Antonio Harbour mix if you can, its an awesome track. Another recent fav would be "Above and Beyond - Good for Me" which is just beautiful vocal trance, lookout for the chillout mix. In fact just buy the Tri-state album from Above and Beyond, there isn't a bad track on there.

Mp3 samplers here:

Above and Beyond - Good for Me (Chillout mix)

Scroll down to bottom and click track 2, 6 and 9 in the player. Turn volume up.

Black Pearl - Bounty Island

I'd hope that listening to tracks like these would make someone who isn't particularly loving dance feel something anyway. I always feel half ashamed when discussing my musical preferences with hardcore audiophiles, I've spoken with enough to realise they don't consider it to be worthy of serious consideration. A shame really because I know its often more technically demanding of a system. I don't see why you can't have an audiophile dance setup, it may seem bizarre that we'd build elaborate speakers to almost devote to this genre but its not so strange when you consider its music regardless of any raised eyebrows.

I'll be bringing the PC to the meet and have a large collection of dance mp3's on there. We'll have to have a listen and do some track spotting :D

I like the odd bit of dance, and the recent influx of electro-house even more.

I tend only to listen to snippets of audiophile cd's when a new system comes along. But you tend to listen to the recording and not the music if that makes sense - so I often ask myself why bother?

So who's tell you what's good music or not eh? Dance on!

Edited.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hezz said:
I would try using some of the automotive vinyl/dash repair die. It comes in a spray can and is designed to impregnate plastics which the foam is. If the dye is light enough so as not to fill in the air spaces it should still function to a large degree.

You should only need the lightest coat to darken them.

Thanks for that Hezz, that's another one to throw in the pot. Problem is I need to decide which methods will work best and which won't. I don't have much room for experimentation here and a mistake will mean order new pads from Alex at RAAL.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Originally posted by Vikash I tend only to listen to snippets of audiophile cd's when a new system comes along. But you tend to listen to the recording and not the music if that makes sense - so I often ask myself why bother?

I know exactly what your saying. I stick a lot of those audiophile tracks on just to assess things like imaging, soundstage, tonality etc,. Its not very often I really sit down just to enjoy it or relax. I'll be the first to admit that its produced to an undeniably high standard and the artists are themselves are truly talented but it still bores me - where's the bass for a start? :D

I've been looking this tread from beginning. I have no words to say for speakers.... It's just beautiful, so different, so elegant....

If i had tools i' would try to built something like that.:bawling:

I must say that trance music can really be made (with good final production) to have superb 3d sound stage, spatial effects, also blip, boing and other sounds effects that makes your mind blow! :eek:
Combined with soft female vocal.... Music form heaven :angel:

Ant from the sounds of it your tastes and opinions re the trance scene are IDENTICAL to mine :)

Glad you said about demoing with some dance tracks, I was thinking about what I'd like to bring to listen to to demo stuff, and just kept coming back to dance, but thought nobody would want it :D

To me a good system really comes alive when it's playing dance music 'right'. In fact I think if it can convey the speed and slam of dance, cope with the complex passages and resolve the details, while keeping nice tonal balance and sounding nice on vocals, it will sound great with anything.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
richie00boy said:
Ant from the sounds of it your tastes and opinions re the trance scene are IDENTICAL to mine :)

Glad you said about demoing with some dance tracks, I was thinking about what I'd like to bring to listen to to demo stuff, and just kept coming back to dance, but thought nobody would want it :D

To me a good system really comes alive when it's playing dance music 'right'. In fact I think if it can convey the speed and slam of dance, cope with the complex passages and resolve the details, while keeping nice tonal balance and sounding nice on vocals, it will sound great with anything.

True, sooo true.

The number of times I've been in an exhibitors room at a show and, after you've managed to convince them, you stick a disc in the CDP and the whole thing falls apart, despite previously sounding good with just small ensembles, jazz, vocal etc.

What I really love about dance is that its so varied. I listen to breaks, psy/goa, progressive, trance and each is radically different. You also see some quite spectacular sonic landscape being created that really can suck you in, sounding completely otherworldly and often hypnotic.

As you also say, a systems timing and pace must be spot on. Once it is you get a rollercoaster effect of breakdown to build up to crescendo.

Ah just take a listen to this:

LostTribe - Gamemaster (the 1999 original)

If that isn't sh*t the bed stuff I don't know what is. :D

sploo said:
Right, well, I was seriously considering trying to get myself to the DIY Audio meet, but if you boys are going to be playing ravey-davey-whistle-posse-blow stuff then I'm out of there. :D

I have always thought that speakers were invented to listen music, not trying to hear mistakes made by musician, or some background noise when someone sneeze in audience, or quiet whisper, or bird passing by closed window and flapping wings.... ;)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
sploo said:
Right, well, I was seriously considering trying to get myself to the DIY Audio meet, but if you boys are going to be playing ravey-davey-whistle-posse-blow stuff then I'm out of there. :D

Your ignorance insults me. I 'ought to slap you like the b*tch you are :D :clown:

And whistle posse? This ain't the mid 90's at the Hippodrome with DJ Dougal playing 'Like a Shooting Star' at 180bpm. ROFL.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Well there'll definitely be at least three heavy going dance fans there plus yourself. If I'd had the speakers finished for the meet I was planning to demo them entirely with dance because the audiophile quality tracks I have mostly bore me rigid.

I've always found Autechre to great for demoing my system. The frequency ranges are ridiculous and the newer stuff sounds like nothing else. Peel Session 2 is really good for some tight deep bass testing.

I can't imagine what they would sound like on your setup!

*LOL* Sorry, couldn't resist it.

I'm just thinking of all the chavs that drive past my house in their 15-year-old 1.0L Novas, replete with inappropriate alloys, underskirt lights, exhaust by Tesco's Value Baked Beans, air scoop glued on bonnet (with no hole, so nothing goes to the engine) and, of course, thump thump thump thump (whoop whoop) thump thump thump etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.