Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2007, 04:30 PM   #201
diyAudio Member

The AudioTech mids have arrived and very nice they are too.

Just about to head out, brave the cold and try getting some more done. Will report back later this evening if I survive.
Old 9th February 2007, 07:48 PM   #202
diyAudio Member

Couple of shots of the Audiotech 15H 52 06 13 SDK mids:

Click the image to open in full size.

Cabinets are moving along nicely:

Its been a very uneventful build so far where most things have gone smoothly so you could say I'm appreciating the fact that I went all anal on the design work for this one. It makes a nice change because on other projects I occasionally left gaps and filled in the details as I got to them which quite often slowed things down a lot.

It almost seems like I'm moving them along a little too quickly but I shouldn't complain. I did knowingly start these main cabinet parts because they'd be the easy bit, sort of a warm up for the main event - the baffles. I can see those taking a good while longer to bring together because they're really quite fiddly.

At this point its time to start gathering up miscellaneous bits too. I was all set for ordering some bitumen panels and sheep's wool when I remembered the Spectra Dynamics Deflex panels that I wanted to use on the Perceives but spotted them only after having already fitting most of the bitumen stuff. So the Deflex will be going into these cabinets but with no stuffing or otherwise which I do think tends to do more harm than good. For example; I removed virtually all the stuffing out the bass section on the Perceives and they sounded noticeably more dynamic. You do have experiment with these things though.

Link to the Deflex panels: here
Old 9th February 2007, 08:47 PM   #203
flaevor is offline flaevor  United States
diyAudio Member

wow!!
I am considering a trip to the U.K. DIY shindig, just to see the master.

I wish I could find the patience and diligence to do work like that.
Old 9th February 2007, 10:19 PM   #204
diyAudio Moderator

What I haven't mentioned to Ant yet, is that once he has finished these, he has to build them all again out of plywood for comparative listening tests.
Old 9th February 2007, 11:47 PM   #205
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Nice looking driver.....
no doubt that PerSkaaning is a true perfectionist ...... just look at that thick front poleplate made for underhung voicecoil, machined in one solid piece ....quite many just simply put two together
also look at the way the membrane is glued to the front of surround .... inhouse handmade all the way
Old 10th February 2007, 12:51 AM   #206
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
Nice looking driver.....
no doubt that PerSkaaning is a true perfectionist ...... just look at that thick front poleplate made for underhung voicecoil, machined in one solid piece ....quite many just simply put two together
also look at the way the membrane is glued to the front of surround .... inhouse handmade all the way
Yep the guy does beautiful work. There's lots of little touches that standout, I didn't get a shot of it but the rear of the driver sports a vented pole piece the size that you'd normally see on a 10" driver and the whole thing is covered with breathable foam to prevent dust ingress. The same goes for the top plate where there's another bit of foam to let the coil breath but keep things clean - a good thing because MDF dust or loose damping material particles in a finished cabinet are more common than we like to believe.

Per also did these drivers as 12ohm instead of the usual 8ohm so as to present an easy 6ohm nominal load when paralleled.

I was also surprised at just how compliant the suspension is, very little force required to shift the cone.
Old 10th February 2007, 12:52 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
What I haven't mentioned to Ant yet, is that once he has finished these, he has to build them all again out of plywood for comparative listening tests.

You must have the dates wrong, that's DIY 2010
Old 10th February 2007, 12:59 AM   #208
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flaevor
wow!!
I am considering a trip to the U.K. DIY shindig, just to see the master.

I wish I could find the patience and diligence to do work like that.
Thanks.

I was going to object to the use of 'master' but I realised you must have been joking
Old 10th February 2007, 08:47 AM   #209
flaevor is offline flaevor  United States
diyAudio Member

joking? are you kidding me. anyone who puts that kind of work into their cabinets deserves some respect. And you haven't even started with the angle cuts or paint, both of which will likely give me severe feelings of inadaquacy.
Old 10th February 2007, 09:20 AM   #210
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flaevor
joking? are you kidding me. anyone who puts that kind of work into their cabinets deserves some respect. And you haven't even started with the angle cuts or paint, both of which will likely give me severe feelings of inadaquacy.
Well thanks for the vote of confidence, appreciated.

Hide this!Advertise here!