'LGT' Construction Diary - Page 170 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2008, 09:56 PM   #1691
diyAudio Member

I'll check those two out Len, thankyou.

I didn't realise that material costs were to blame for the rise. Fingers crossed I can find something more reasonable than 85inc vat for a 1000VA toroid.
Old 19th August 2008, 10:07 PM   #1692
diyAudio Member

I just checked Rapid and it looks like they're doing end-column pricing again today.. 49.50 for a 1KVA toroid, but it says 'for account holders only'.. They still have 500 and 625VA available for us grubby diy-ers.

-Len.
Old 24th August 2008, 02:45 PM   #1693
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stryker1959
Shin,beautiful render,but methinks that you have too much speaker for your room
What you should do is ship them to me(I'll cover the shipping) so you can relieve any clutter and scale it down to a simple MTM design with a few subs

Yes but to be honest any speaker I place in there suffers the same brutality caused by the room.

Big speakers are a sign that you've arrived, no one took me seriously before
Old 2nd September 2008, 07:29 PM   #1694
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markus76
ShinOBIWAN, DRC can help to some extent. But only getting your room right will help you in hearing the original undistorted signal.

Everyone would agree with that but no room, even the multi million dollar studios are perfect. So given that nothing is perfect, DRC is yet another tool to aid the engineer or listener. You have to weigh up whether the distortion your adding cancels enough of the distortion that's already taking place in the room for it to be worthwhile. Often it is.

DRC isn't something to be scared of. In the next 10 or so years I expect that it will get the recognition and adoption it deserves outside of professional circles where its largely confined right now.

Quote:
You get a much better result by retaining the right order of necessary measures. Top priority is a uniform indirect soundfield. And that starts by applying absorption for low frequencies and not for mid and high frequencies.
I can't help but feel your looking at it from an idealistic perspective. Most rooms and my room in particular couldn't be further from ideal.

In the real world what you suggest isn't entirely optimal. Its a lot better than nothing but you need to look at the problems to realise there's other problems that need to be addressed aside from the ever present bass issue.

From all I've read about acoustics in small rooms is that treatment's are best handled with broadband absorption not just bass traps. Your speakers and your ears are close to walls and this causes comb filtering or interference between the reflected waves and unreflected waves. The only effective measures for this is diffusion and/or absorption.

Another point is treating first reflections. Bass traps won't do anything for these.

What I'm saying is that in any regular room and particularly a small one, you need some absorption of the mids and highs as well as the bass.

If you've got a minute I highly recommend watching this video covering comb filtering, what causes it and examples of its effects.

http://www.realtraps.com/video_comb.wmv

Quote:
When you're now starting to apply a foil to your construction it will become more reflective to higher frequencies but then you would have been better off in using the fiberglass for bass absorption in the rooms corners right from the start.

Best, Markus
Markus, I was talking about spot treatment for reflectivity not a wholesale application of this to all treated area. You mentioned the window on the right of the room causing an uneven tonal balance and I said I could deploy a measured amount of reflectivity on the left wall to balance the symmetry of the room.
Old 4th September 2008, 12:50 PM   #1695
Banned

What happened? All of my posts in this thread got deleted??
Old 4th September 2008, 12:58 PM   #1696
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It broke off to an individual room treatment thread.
Old 19th September 2008, 07:44 PM   #1697
diyAudio Member

A member on here named Thylantyr(name=terrorizer in the link) posted a long and not entirely factual dissection of my more recent DIY exploits.

Its a riveting read so enjoy

http://www.createforum.com/petereuro...orum=petereuro
Old 19th September 2008, 07:58 PM   #1698
diyAudio Member

He has a LOT of free time. I will keep it at that.

Chris
Old 19th September 2008, 08:20 PM   #1699
diyAudio Member

Wow. I'd buy that guy a drink, the same one somebody bought Socrates his final drink.
Old 21st September 2008, 12:16 AM   #1700
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN
A member on here named Thylantyr(name=terrorizer in the link) posted a long and not entirely factual dissection of my more recent DIY exploits.

Its a riveting read so enjoy

http://www.createforum.com/petereuro...orum=petereuro

Hmm, I'll agree that my advice here is "often flawed", but I have yet to see anyone with perfect advice - so I feel I'm in some pretty good company.

Hide this!Advertise here!