'LGT' Construction Diary - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2007, 02:32 AM   #1001
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m0tion
Impressions so far? Especially vs the Perceives? I'm actually quite curious to hear a comparison between with and without the top cabinet as well.
I've been on a bit of hifi ration for about 5 months now so once this sprang to life I was pretty excited and impressed.

However I was quick to remind myself that its just one partially completed speaker running with dirt HT receiver amplification and not a whole lot of crossover experimentation or optimisation.

It certainly shows promise though. I'm still taken aback by the treble but was a little worried about the midrange chamber and all that foam, lead and bitumen I'd stuck in there to soak up the rear wave. However, it doesn't seem to be a problem because the sound is very clean but without being dead, I plan to remove some of the treatment just to get a better picture but it doesn't sound too bad right now, not really good enough though - more work to do here.
Bass is absolutely spot on. All that hard work from weeks of researching custom TS parameters optimised for sealed bass has really paid off.

Its been a long while since I've heard the Perceives but it was a great design that will take some beating. This doesn't even begin to cut it yet but its very early days yet.
Old 28th June 2007, 08:35 AM   #1002
geminni is offline geminni  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

I can advice you not to rush in with conclusions because with second par mid-bas on top you'll get totally different sound picture

I have been doing some tests with speakers, putting them in regular 2-way and 2-way in D'appolito... Second one is so much better!
Old 29th June 2007, 02:43 AM   #1003
diyAudio Member

Coming along nicely. I might get to listen in stereo soon

You can see just why I'm a big fan of digital room correction. These speakers really make the room feel like a rabbit hutch. They look a bit daft actually but as most men do, I'm making up for inadequacies elsewhere

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th June 2007, 03:09 AM   #1004
diyAudio Member

Nice, wow, but kind of depressing. There is still a lot of work left before you'll really be able to gauge how good these things are. It appears as if you may have trouble with them blocking your screen? Is it that just the angle?
Old 29th June 2007, 03:16 AM   #1005
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Does Your Doggie bite ?
Old 29th June 2007, 03:25 AM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m0tion
Nice, wow, but kind of depressing. There is still a lot of work left before you'll really be able to gauge how good these things are. It appears as if you may have trouble with them blocking your screen? Is it that just the angle?
Depressing is a good word. Never before I have put so much time into a project yet seemingly get no where. Plan is to just keep my head down, not think about it too much and keep on plodding then one day I'll look up and they'll be finished... and I'll sell them a couple of months later

Don't even mention the amps either, those bits scattered around between the speakers are one of three. Yes, depressing is a good word.

The PJ screen will need either modifying or I'll have to build another one.
Old 29th June 2007, 03:28 AM   #1007
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jleaman
Does Your Doggie bite ?
As the photo clearly shows, its a trained attack dog.
Old 29th June 2007, 03:34 AM   #1008
diyAudio Member

Well, at least it's toward a good cause. You mentioned earlier 'world's best speakers" kind of in jest. But to be honest, when you consider the whole package, you are definitely in that class. I don't know about being the world's actual best, but you could at least compete.
Old 29th June 2007, 07:21 AM   #1009
Hartono is offline Hartono  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

what's that receiver doing in that room ???
Old 29th June 2007, 01:54 PM   #1010
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Shin, you know what upgrade you really need?

a bigger room.

no amnount of D-EQ is gonn a fix that tiny space,please tell us thats just temporary.

Hide this!Advertise here!