Loudspeaker Design Cookbook On Sale For $11 !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Madisound is now selling Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, 6th Edition, for $11. This is because the new 7th Edition, which costs much more, is out.

Here is the link to the page.

I am not affiliated with Madisound, and normally do not post news for sales, but this book really is something special that anyone who wants to get into designing or building loudspeakers should have. You will see a lot of references to Loudspeaker Design Cookbook on the threads here. I just got two copies-one for myself and one for a friend.

I just called up Madisound, and as of today, Dec. 28, they said they have "good stock" on the book, whatever that means.

Well, the last edition I have seen was the 4th?

6th edition:
Twelve Chapters (233 pages, soft bound)
0. How Loudspeakers Work
1. Closed-Box Low-Frequency Systems
2. Vented-Box Low-Frequency Systems
3. Passive-Radiator Low-Frequency Systems
4. Transmission Line Low-Frequency Systems
5. Cabinet Construction: Shape and Damping
6. Mid- and High-Frequency Drivers: Applications and Enclosures
7. Passive and Active Crossovers
8. Loudspeaker Testing
9. Cad Software for Loudspeaker Design and Loudspeaker Room Interfacing
10. Home Theater Loudspeakers
11. Car Audio Loudspeakers

Interesting....
So for those who have it, what is the CAD software? Also, does he give parameters for the woofer he uses for the damping tests (he tested a box with a bunch of different damping materials and I once wanted to figure out Qa values but couldn't derive the params....)

TL's, eh? ;)

If I were to buy it I would probably spring for the 7th edition for the new Klippel stuff, but I may just check it out from the library.... I copied the alignment charts long ago before I figured out how to calculate them on my own.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Roddy:

Good to see you again. I honestly could not tell you what is new in the book, since this is the first edition I have ever owned.

So far, I have been getting by on David Weems' Designing, Building, Testing Loudspeakers and the AES Loudspeaker Anthology Vol 1 & 2.

According to the Foreword, the 6 th Edition contains:

a completely new TL sectiion,

a discussion of curvilinear vents,

Earl Geddes' Acoustic Lever Design, (I'm looking forward to getting to know that one),

an explication of high frequency woofer design showing the effects of dustcaps, surrounds, and motor design,

a tutorial on low frequency design dealing with plates, magnets, voice coil parts, surrounds, etc instead of just parameters,

a tutorial on midrange bandpass and tweeter high pass attenuation circuits

a look at loudspeaker CAD software including a section on room design software and analyzers

a discussion of dipole versus direct radiator surrounds

a discussion of the new rear channel surround system Surround EX Dolby 6.1

new ideas for achieving better speaker imaging in the car

chapter 12 is sort of a cut down version of the Loudspeaker Recipes book

Apparently the Fifth Edition had improvements over the Fourth Edition, which had improvements over the Third Edition, etc.

I don't know if your edition had these, but it also deals with Augmented Passive Radiator, (very interesting) and Rear Vented Bandpass Enclosures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.