U-Baffle - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2006, 04:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default U-Baffle

Hi!

I have pair of DIY dipole speakers D-07(picture above), developed by Pekka Tuomela. Those speakers are usefull in range of 60-80 to 23000 Hz, and they wokrs very fine in my mind. I have used some active subwooffers with them but now I want to try wooffers which works as close same ways as my main speakers do.

So I think that U Baffle is the keyword when I'm solving my problems, there is only 2 "little" thinks that I can handle. How can I measure the
U baffle, and what kind of things I should take account when I'm choosing those wooffer-elements for u baffle?

Hope that somebody can help me, and sorry about my awful english!

Oh, and there is my D-07Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th December 2006, 11:31 PM   #2
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

Hi Pathfinder,

your english is much better than my Finnish .
I like those speakers. They look very much like dipoles, not cardioids. So if you wanted woofers that work as close to the same way, then you might consider some dipoles like these H-baffles http://www.linkwitzlab.com/proto.htm#PW1
A pair, if you have the room, will provide plenty bass for music, but I would not recommend for Home Theater (movies).
If you indeed want a cardioid (or cardioid like behavior), then a U-baffle is what you need http://www.musicanddesign.com/u_frame.html
http://www.musicanddesign.com/U-fram...sign_guide.zip
Good luck.

cheers,

AJ
Old 29th December 2006, 07:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much, AJinFLA!

The .doc is simple, but very usefull to me. I thought that U- and H-baffles works both like dipoles, and cause U-baffle can make the same job in smaler size thats why I choose the U-tyoe.

I just checked the PW1 and it seems to be something that I want. Is it better to make/buy own subwooferamp-module to the woofer than make passive x-over/EQ to fit that woofer with main speakers. I don't now why, but I don't want to but those passive components in my singnalway, like they have done in PW1/PXM1 project. What about real active x-over?

Hide this!Advertise here!