Common Bass channel XO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I set up was to be a temporary crossover in order to work on my bass amp, which has a few issues.

I think the temp xo will stay until I build a new 3 ch amp.

The auto transformers have 2 functions. 1st, to pull the spl of the main wide range units down about 6 - 8 db to match the bass. 2nd, utillising the primary inductance as part of the crossover.

The result is smoother bass freq resp - one of the issues with the bass amp and xo, and a bonus or two, improved transients and yet better imaging. And I think more headroom.

I am only using BP electrolytics at present. Checking tomorrow for the largest motor run cap I can get.

The transformers I am using are ex Martin Audio. I would think high quality 100 v line trannies could be used, just ignore the primary.

The value of C1 is set for an XL of 8 ohms at the desired xo freq. I haven't done any measurements yet, just enjoying the music.

Geoff.

Attachments

• common_ch_bass_.jpg
    common_ch_bass_.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 285
Here's a second version. It doesn't attenuate the wide range, and presents the 8 ohm bass speaker as a 4 ohm load to both channels.

The transformer I used for T3 is one I rewound several years ago as 2x13.5 volt bifilar wound for a battery charger. Its about 350VA.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Insulate the primary if you try this. It will generate mains level voltages.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edit. Got my ratios wrong. The Z at the centre tap of T3 is 2 ohms,
presenting a 4 ohm load to the amp per channel.

Geoff.

Attachments

• common_ch_bass_2.jpg
    common_ch_bass_2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 234
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.