Woofer selection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jainbaby said:
OK,
B ut that site does not explain any benefits or differences in these woofers. Is it worth the extra money for the revelator?
Thanks, Steve
I would NEVER buy the Revelator
But I would love to use 2905/9300 or 9500 Tweeters from Scan Speak

Revelator has too big Outer Diameter, see data
and Too High Price, to fit me at all.

I love dometweeters with small diameters.
100mm and below.
I then can put it on Narrow Baffle (small box)
and Very Close to the midwoofer.
This gives better sound teoretically.
Sound, as my ears receive it,
will not jump from mid to tweeter and back again.
----------------------------------------------------------------

So my advice:
You have not much to gain in Sound by buying Revelator,
but you lose - for certain -
Some possiblities, because of its Enourmous fysical Diameter.

Buy Scanspeak 9300 or 9500!
---------------------------

All those Scanspeak WOOFER with
CarbonFibre Cone, SD-1 with Dark Cone
Are Very, Very Good Woofers.
Just you buy the Size that suits you The best.

And then you can feel like a professional Loudspeaker builder.
Because there are a lot of them using these Scanspeaks.
------------------------------------

/halojoy - can not afford to waste - ANY MONEY at all

Your question is almost impossible to answer as not many people have used all those drivers and can compare.

18s/8535

Used in the Proac 2.5 clone, best in 34L port box, deep bass, fullrange woofer does bass and midrange well, has a dark sound but not the very best in midrange.

18s/8538

?

18w/8545

Used in many standmount speakers like Sonus Faber around 15L ported box, similar character to 8535 but much less bass extension, favours better midrange, bigger magnet structure.

18s/8531600 Revelator I think

Newest drivers for use in standmount speakers, around 15L ported box, have not heard but from reports has dryer more detailed midrange than 35 & 45 type older drivers, possibly used in Sonus Faber Cremona. JPO linklist has Acoustic Realty series crossover design for free.

Perhaps you need a different way of looking at your project and asking an easier question.

Sorry thats about all I know.

To make it easier:

This will be a mini monitor approx. 10"w x no more than 11" h and depth will be less than 16"

I was really just trying to get an opinion of the difference between the carbon paper cone and the revelator.

Is the revelator worth the money. Also AL.M if you think this is not the best woofer what do you recommend.

Keep in mind that this will be a two way, and the spec's I have listed, also It will use a fabric dome and a 6db per octave crossover.

THanks,

All opinions welcome

If you like the Revelator build the Acoustic Reality speaker on JPO which uses Vifa XT25 tweeter.

Your cabinet will be very ugly and too deep at 10 x 11 x 16" and a little too wide for 7" drivers and may not image as well.

"Best" is not best. Depends what your max $ is. Accuton 6" is considered among the best, so are Focals, Cabasse, PHL and others.

Good luck, spend more time researching - read reviews of speakers that have the kind of drivers you want.

Ciao,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.