Sealed vs Ported (Rythmik) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2006, 09:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sealed vs Ported (Rythmik)

Pardon if I was unable to locate a thread answering my particular questions, but I am unable to locate the best answer.

I am looking at building a Rythmik Audio Servo Sub, a 12" sealed design that uses servo tech to achieve deep extension. I am also going to build a 5 channel setup of identical speakers to match. (Raw Acoustics HT2s - MTM using XBL motors and ribbon tweeter)

What speaker style (ported or sealed) will blend best with such a sub? My room is about 13' wide by 12' deep with 9' ceilings. It is in a finished basement and hs openings to the left and right rear corners.

I am leaning towards sealed and get the sub rolled off at 12dB slope. Thus, the speakers would have an acoustic roll-off of 12dB to blend in together.

BUT,

The 80hz crossover applied in my receiver's bass management will add to this, won't it? With sealed speakers, will this result in a 24dB slope or will it remain at 12dB?

Ideally, I think 12dB will be easiest to blend, but I am not sure.

Help?
Old 28th December 2006, 07:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I would suggest go with sealed for the HT2s and the servo sub. It's a lot to ask a small 4" woofer to reproduce mid-bass frequencies and lower at high SPL levels. So, IMHO you are better off runing them small.

You can use the crossover on the plate amp. Ask Brian for his opinion. Also, you might get more feedback posting in the subwoofer forum here and in the DIY forum in avsforum.

good luck,

Al
Old 28th December 2006, 09:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm running my DS-12 in the recomended 2.1cu ft sealed box, my room is lightly smaller than yours (about a foot smaller in each dimension).

It goes plenty loud enough in my room and very deep, I'm having to use the highest extension setting on the amp and then attenuate the low end slightly with my BFD to control the low end. You get a lot of room gain in my room, running the filter at the 14Hz setting and no BFD gives about +15db @ 10Hz, which is fun

I think (not 100% on this) THX spec recievers/processors have an 80Hz 2nd order HPF on the main speakers, and 4th order LPF on the sub channel. So if you defeat the LPF in the sub and use main speakers with an 80Hz 2nd order rolloff (as THX suggests) you end up with a 4th order slope on the mains.
Old 31st December 2006, 12:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Sounds Good

I played around with plugging the ports of my mains and adjusting the crosover to integrate and I am liking what I hear. Kettle drumms in particular sound much better and more distinct.

I think I will go with sealed Speakers and Sub.

Thanks,
AF

Hide this!Advertise here!