"Movie Nights" in Rock River - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2006, 11:34 PM   #11
theNoid is offline theNoid  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to theNoid
Thank you everyone for your input. All info has been very helpful so far.

To address a few things mentioned, the screen and speakers are actually up on a stage so speaker height will not be an issue I do not believe. It should damn sure be better than a single, cheap dj style speaker in the center of the floor in front of the stage.

As for power requirements, I am thinking the 200 rms wpc should be enough with the lines as they should be well up into the mid-to-high 90's as far as sensitivity goes. As mentioned, this power source has been donated so we will definitely try the free route first.

For the screen, IF we end up going there, I will likely use Behr "Silverscreen" paint from Home Depot as I have used it successfully in the past. But, we won't be sure about doing a screen for another couple of weeks.

We are going to stick with the Onkyo line arrays for now due to finances, and see how they sound. If it fails miserably then we will adjust and shoot towards a more cinema style design. I am pretty sure though that as mentioned before, that they will sound far better than the single dj style speaker being used currently in the floor in front of the stage.

Thanks again for everyones input to this point...

Noidster
Old 29th December 2006, 01:40 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Well good luck, It sounds like alot of fun, I must admit the idea of the whole community coming together for a movie, sharing the experience, is far more enjoyable and memorable than can ever be achieved at home.

I have a single chip 4 segment color wheel DLP projector at home, and it took me quite a long time to develop a screen that minimised the rainbow effect , If you are using this stlyle of projector, I suspect that a silver screen will cause you some problems as it is a gain style screen. Personally from experience I would start with a flat white paint, and if the image is not bright enough, then move to a gain style.

Film, LCD or 3 chip DLP would not have a problem with a silver or glass beaded gain screen. In fact best results could be achieved this way.

For the sharpest image use a DVD player that has the Progressive Scan feature. The difference to the quality of the wide shots is not subtle.

Here is a picture of a cinema that I custom built a speaker system for, Dispite its looks it is only 10 years old
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walsh_1 cineo pro speakers.jpg (96.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 29th December 2006, 02:11 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Cameron,
Only about 5% of the population is subject to the rainbow effect, some more severe than others. Aren't you lucky to be in the 95th percentile. A faster spinning color wheel is your best bet and is more effective than changes in the screen.

I agree that highly directive speakers are ideal. That's good reason for going OB with the arrays, for the limited off axis response.

Noidster,
Putting the arrays up on stage may not work if the stage is very high. You want to have the heads of all the listeners within the plane of the arrays.
Old 29th December 2006, 03:21 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I was under the impression that the figure for rainbow in 4 segment colorwheels was closer to 50 percent, with the faster versions reducing that to 10 percent.

12 months ago I negotiated the purchase of a high end cineo 3 projector for non film screenings (high speed 6 segment higher frequency DLP projector) for a 36 ft screen/ 450 seat cinema. I have only seen rainbow once! in one shot, in one movie)
The cinema up the road bought a 4 segment one which was replaced within 6 weeks due to the huge number of customer complaints about the strange image and rainbow colors! That cinema does feature a gain screen.

I guess its funny that only 5 percent of the market could complain so much, that a company was forced to spend $10,000 on a replacement so soon. Especially as like most cinemas, 35mm film provides over 95% of the screens content!

Where did you get the 5% figure? I think you will find that it is incorrect, It does not match what is being said in video projector reviews on the web. ie optima is a rainbow maker? ect or is it that the same 5% of the population only that go to cinemas and post on the internet?

Anyhow at home my 2 metre gray screen has removed the amount of rainbow from obvious to insignificant. Next stage is to put up a 6 meter wide screen in the back yard (2nd hand cinema screen matt white, sitting in the garage) for the outdoor cinema experience over the rest of sydneys hot summer.

As for arrays I don't have any objection, I think they can sound good, they tend to spead the sound and create a defused effect, I just thought that it would be cheaper and the dialogue would be cleaner the traditional Altec way.

Anyway enough of my woffle, Good luck with the project and enjoy the big screen experience, I'm sure it will be great and the community will really appreciate the effort.
Old 29th December 2006, 05:07 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I got that from research about 2 years ago, when most were only 4 segment 2x speed wheels. I sold almost 100 DLP projectors down here and only one customer needed to switch to LCD. The rainbows were too bothersome for his wife. I've only seen the effect a couple of times when dark scenes are lit up by bright explosions. Nobody in my family nor any of my friends are subject to it. That makes you and one other person that I know of, out of hundreds.

ProjectorCentral now just says a "small percentage", but one result of a quick Google search did mention "small but very vocal percentage", so you guys are outspoken.
Old 30th December 2006, 04:34 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

John

I think I see a pattern with gain screens, total darkness and high levels of rainbow, as for the projectionists that have had to deal with it , I have only met 1 who has not seen it! and 20 who have! I would say that if used in a classroom enviroment and powerpoint presentations I would not see it.

Ps, you have seen it!

Thankyou I enjoy hearing your point of view.

Pss, If you guys are interested I can take some photos of the rig that Im building for the back yard, the Speakers are finished, just starting with the screen frame ect

Hide this!Advertise here!