zaph l18/27tbfcg build quesion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2006, 08:41 AM   #1
vcmc is offline vcmc  United States
diyAudio Member

Default zaph l18/27tbfcg build quesion

Hey everyone,

I'm rather new to the world of DIY, but after browsing around a bit I decided to build a pair of Zaph's seas monitors...

I just got the crossovers built, and completed a few hours' of listening. These are a little on the warm side for my taste, and I noted there's a reduced baffle step crossover available, which I'm considering trying. There doesn't look to be much info on his site, though, and searches here failed to turn up any detailed info either. Can anyone provide or point me to a link/thread with more info?

Thanks.
Old 24th December 2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Here you go.

Reduced BSC Crossover

Note that many people also find this speaker on the bright side. You may also want to double check the tweeter polarity, (both negatives to ground) as the null may indirectly contribute to a warm tonality. Another thing you may try is a lower port tuning, which would thin out the midbass a bit.

But, if you're using these in a smallish room or close to walls, this crossover may help.
Old 24th December 2006, 09:22 PM   #3
vcmc is offline vcmc  United States
diyAudio Member

Ah, I'd been searching for "baffle step compensation" instead of "BSC"... thanks Zaph.
Old 3rd June 2007, 08:30 PM   #4
liasom is offline liasom  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Anyoune built sealed alignment version?

I'm considering a sealed alignment build (reduced BSC optional) of Zaph's speaker17 (L18) design.

* Enclosure baffle will be same width and height as the PE .5 cuft enclosure, but enclosure will be less deep (smaller volume).

* Less deep cabinet will help a lot to increase my placement options. That is why sealed vs. tuned port in the PE enclosure.

* L18s will be integrated with a single NHT 1259 sealed and NHT SA-3 sub amplifier. Plan to use the amplifier's active crossover network at best setting for the room (12x16 bedroom), maybe as high as 125hz crossover point.

* Used Zaph's "real T/S parameeters" and a total system Q value of .707 my enclosure result was .23 cuft. My gut tells me to do .3 cuft stuffed (.4 to .5 cuft apparent volume) to best allow integration with active sub crossover.

Looking for confirmation or advice for a better enclosure volume.

Mike
Old 4th June 2007, 06:42 AM   #5
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Anyoune built sealed alignment version?

Quote:
Originally posted by liasom
I'm considering a sealed alignment build (reduced BSC optional) of Zaph's speaker17 (L18) design.

* Enclosure baffle will be same width and height as the PE .5 cuft enclosure, but enclosure will be less deep (smaller volume).

* Less deep cabinet will help a lot to increase my placement options. That is why sealed vs. tuned port in the PE enclosure.

* L18s will be integrated with a single NHT 1259 sealed and NHT SA-3 sub amplifier. Plan to use the amplifier's active crossover network at best setting for the room (12x16 bedroom), maybe as high as 125hz crossover point.

* Used Zaph's "real T/S parameters" and a total system Q value of .707 my enclosure result was .23 cuft. My gut tells me to do .3 cuft stuffed (.4 to .5 cuft apparent volume) to best allow integration with active sub crossover.

Looking for confirmation or advice for a better enclosure volume.

Mike
Hi,

It all sounds sensible if the speakers are to be used near walls.

Do not overstuff the boxes. 0.3 cuft should be fine.
AFAIK around 15% to 20% effective volume increase is the maximum.

/sreten.
Old 4th June 2007, 12:57 PM   #6
liasom is offline liasom  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, streten. Yes the speakers will be closer to the walls than I'd like. But, placement and size are the constraints.

Mike
Old 5th June 2007, 10:38 AM   #7
check is offline check  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to check
Could somebody make specification on which point is good to go with smaller BSC? (having room size, cabinet location and wall/furniture absorbtion in mind)
I got 4x4meters (13x13 feet) room (location approximately 2feet from wall and floor, but not exactly same), but I'm going to have 4x8meters (no problem with location), BR wanted in Zaph's cabinet. Both rooms are stood enough. I have only "sub" with f3 about 40hz, so no subwoofer if posible.
Old 5th June 2007, 02:51 PM   #8
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

you reduced BSC if :

A) You sit close to the speakers.
B) Speakers are placed near room boundaries, e.g wall placement.
C) Combination of the above.

No BSC means <~ 1m listening distance or corner placement.

But the placement near boundaries is a significant compromise.

/sreten.
Old 5th June 2007, 03:40 PM   #9
check is offline check  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to check
THX Sreten, nice responce as usually. I will built full BSC. If problems come I will go down a few dB's with bass correction on amplifier.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:32 AM   #10
peter_m is offline peter_m  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Off topic... slightly

Has anyone heard both the Zaph L18 and L15? What does one design have too offer over the other? How is the sensitivity on both designs? Any difference in amplifier requirement?

Sorry for the slight change in topic., Thanx

Hide this!Advertise here!