Need Assistance With Enclosure and X-over

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings, I am planning on building a set of speakers that will be used in a 'travel' system. Mainly used in hotel rooms so they will probably never see more than 3wpc. I am currently using a set of computer speakers that have a subwoofer that is fed by a portable CD player. I need stereo subs so my plans are to use the TANG BAND W5-1138SG 5-1/4" sub, the HI-VI B3N mid and the Dayton ND20FA-6 tweeter. My plans now are to tri amp these (with low wattage car amps and a 13.4v P/S) and use a Nakamichi EC200 and EC200H x-overs. OTOH I have thought about bi amping and using a EC200 x-over for the subs and use a passive for the mid/tweeter. I have always liked the sound of a sealed enclosure ...but what I'm doing is not average or 'real world'. How would a low "Q" enclosure do ...then put the mids in a high "Q" 'sub enclosure'? I need a very low extension at low power levels. I will never have to worry about over powering these either. Input and suggestions are appreciated.

thanks,

>^..^<

augerpro said:
I would think a couple bookshelves with either a Dayton RS125 or RS150 and some Tamps would be more satisfying and portable.

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying to use the Dayton in place of the Tang Band? I had considered using the T amps ...but I already have a huge stash of the other stuff. I have a really neat 4x15 a/d/s amp that will do great if I can find a passive x-over for the mid/tweeters.

>^..^<

You said a portable system so I just thought some bookshelves would be better than all those seperate speakers you planned on building.

Dayton RS woofers and dc28 or HiVi K1 tweeter. The Rs125 would make for really small bookshelf and still have some bass, close to the 5.25" subs you planned on building I would think, though I haven't modelled either. The RS150 would definately be more bass, but larger enclosure.

As for a XO, you could use a generic one from PE. Or maybe someone here would be nice enough to model a simple one for you.

Thanks ...I'm planning on just building 2 enclosures. So I will end up with a med sized 3 way bookshelf speaker. I plan on transporting this is system in a med sized wheeled luggage. If I can't get info on the mid / tweeter x-over I can always tri amp. What do you recommend for an enclosure size? Ported or sealed? Low Q?

thanks,

>^..^<

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.