Loudspeaker Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've made many of speaker boxes over the years with MDF. For my new project I'd like to make something that looks really nice.

I would like to make the design similar to the design of the swan S600HT, which is a rectangular box with some rounded ends.

http://www.swanspeaker.com/index.asp

Should I make it out of MDF and vaneer it or should I make it out of hardwood (mahogany is my preference)? I haven't done either so I wanted to hear some pros and cons

i think he means where the corners are rounded over as well as the points, so it ends up looking like a wooden version of a fuzzy di

if (and Im not sure that it would) a hard wood would be a problem instead of MDF, why not make the speaker a little bit larger, just attach full 1/2" boards to all sides of the speaker, and then round that over. You still get the quality of MDF under it, and then you get the look and appearance of hardwood on the outside

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Or you can route into all corners, 90 gr. - and glue hardwood in all corners

Next you glue veneer all over - then you can route/sand the corners

But this applies only to moderate roundings

If you want bigger roundings, you can route/cut edges 45gr. - and glue hardwood with proper thickness onto the corners/edges

In this case you will have to strengthen the cornes on the inside of box

Veneering as above

good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.