TDL RTL3's -Advice needed! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2006, 07:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TDL RTL3's -Advice needed!

Hi,

Newbie here with a pair of damaged TDL RTL3's (Mk1). They need one new cone and new crossover panels (I believe that's what they're called- the panels that the speaker cables connect to- excuse my ignorance!)

Can anyone suggest where to get suitable parts? They have been great speakers, and I'd hate to have to just bin them!

Have been watching e-bay, but nothing so far.

Any advice gratefully appreciated...
Old 18th December 2006, 08:03 PM   #2
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome!

I've replied to your mail which may be of some help. I just had a look on ebay and found these which will give those in the know a giggle: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TDL-RTL4-FLOOR...ayphotohosting

"EVERY DAY I WILL RAISE THE PRICE ON THESE SPEAKERS BY 10 UNTIL A BID IS MADE"

Vikash
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 18th December 2006, 08:14 PM   #3

Tell a lie, I don't have my mail server set up so here's the reply again:

Hi,

What do you mean by crossover panels? I still have the original crossovers PCB's if that's what you need? Wilmslow Audio do a driver which you can supposedly use as a replacment but it will look slighly different, and according to the specs vs my measurements it will also measure differently (see SPH-175 here: https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/..._Units_17.html). Personally I think they're too expensive for something that's not a bang in replacement, and I would look on ebay as TDL RTL stuff often comes up

Vikash
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 19th December 2006, 04:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Vikash, thanks for the reply...there is a component burnt out on the PCB internally, and externally some of the gold threaded terminals for the banana plugs have sheared off.....thanks for the link on replacement cones...these are still cheaper than buying new speakers if I can sort the crossover problem. From what you say however am I wasting my time?
Old 19th December 2006, 05:31 PM   #5

I don't think fixing the crossover is a big problem. Replacing whichever part is burned out should be fairly straight forward if you have basic soldering skills. Which component is it? I'd add an L-Pad as mentioned on the website while you're at it.

As for the threads, just use banana plugs

You didn't mention what the actual damage to the woofer is? Personally I would try to get hold of a matching one of ebay. You might pick up a pair of RTL2's (used the same driver I think) or even 3's for a little more than the SPH-175 driver from Wilsmlow

V
Old 19th December 2006, 05:36 PM   #6

Aparently these guys may have some of the old TDL drivers. You can only try: http://www.lockwoodaudio.co.uk/
Old 19th December 2006, 09:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks

Can anyone tell me what this is from the photo? (Long white rectangular component on the PCB with scorch marks!)

(Sorry for such basic questions, but learning fast!)

(The terminals have sheared near the base, so banana plugs won't work, but I can solder the connection, so not a big problem)

Damage to the woofer is only a small (7 or 8mm) clean cut in the rubber at the outside edge of the cone....hard to see.

I'm not sure whether a) this will make an appreciable difference to quality, or b) whether this will get worse with use though....

Any thoughts appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speakers 001.jpg (48.8 KB, 210 views)
Old 20th December 2006, 08:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Looks like a resistor to me!

Some impressive burn damage on that! Any idea how that happened?
Old 20th December 2006, 09:43 AM   #9

That is the 10R resistor, but the other components could be damaged too. The best thing to do is desolder the PCB from the screw terminals and take a proper look as it looks like a mess in that pic.

I still have those crossover PCB's if you want to just swap them out; or if you feel like invoking the real DIYer in you than you could redo the crossover with better parts as I have done here:

http://www.vikash.info/audio/mtm_flo...asurements.asp

Parts cost from Madisound is around 19 for both!

2 x 6 mfd Solen Fast Cap 400V $ 3.05 $ 6.10
2 x 10 mfd Solen Fast Cap 400V $ 4.50 $ 9.00
2 x 0.25mH 19AWG Air Core Inductor $ 2.75 $ 5.50
2 x 0.67mH 19AWG Air Core Inductor $ 3.65 $ 7.30
4 x Eagle- 10 ohms $ 1.20 $ 4.80
2 x Eagle- 1 ohms $ 1.20 $ 2.40
Subtotal: $ 35.10
Old 20th December 2006, 05:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

i had similar problems as you mentioned and completly redid the crossover and tried a bunch of tweeters ,maybe your woofer can be glued up with some rubber cement etc, the bass from them is very good but the tweeter is a weak link,
i am now using a simple 6db low pass at 600hz and a fostex full range driver 3 inch guy in the tweeter place with a 600hz high pass and made a small sealed chamber for the fostex using a spray can cap , the sound is getting better and i might make a new baffle and mount the fostex on top with its own box
i also got the fostex from the madisound sale page and my total cost withe parts was $60
the bass is amazing for that speaker and its easily biampable so i use tubes on the fostex and a sand amp on the bass drivers
itits worth diy and fixing

Hide this!Advertise here!