Need recommendation for a PC-based measuring system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The ATB PC Pro is on page 18 of the Meniscus Audio catalog (www.meniscusaudio.com) for $219. You might give them a call to ask about it. They talk about an add-on PCMCIA card availability 'next year' for a pro version of the program. Don't know about compatibility with your computer but it does come with a calibrated mic and looks complete to test as delivered.

Another way to go is to use Soundeasy (measurement and design software) which is availabile from Parts Express, E-speakers, and other places around $240. S-E needs specific sound cards to have full capabilities (the emulation ability) so look before leaping. Also you will need a mic (the Behringer ECM8000 is $50 but uncalibrated) and perhaps a microphone preamp to get started.

The Woofer Tester (www.woofertester.com) for $150 for T/S test has a pro version coming soon which may add more than T/S testing capabilities.

Soundesay has an active support forum and the woofer tester support seems active as well. Don't know about the ATB PC Pro but likely much support from European users.

Jim

For acoustic measurements, I use a Behringer ECM8000 w/ Behringer UB802a for a preamp, which I bought from a forum member for only $50.

I couldn't realize the full potential of this measurement setup until I purchased a good soundcard. I bought a used M-Audio Delta 2496 for only $25. This thing is great. Being able to sample at 96khz is very useful when taking gated measurements.

For software, I use Arta for quick measurements, and Speaker Workshop for extended projects. Both were free.

I'm new to speaker design/measuring and this forum -

I started playing with Passive Crossover Designer - a huge Excel spreadsheet - see http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/crossover/pcd.htm

works ok, but you need to have the Z and frequency response data on the drivers. So I started down that rabbit hole, and found Speaker Workshop.

I have been diving into Speaker Workshop - there is a manual available on the web, also claudio negro's site mentioned previously has a helpful tutorial. The learning curve is not too bad - a few late nights playing with it and I'm starting to understand it.

I bought a Creative Live!24 external sound box to hook up to my lap top and put together a very simple jig out of bits I found in the parts box for measuring impedance - the sound box has enough drive on the line out for Z measurements. So far the $ outlay has been minimal. Now I'm debating between a DIY mic/preamp or just busting out the credit card.

Truly amazing how much is out there, all free. Hope I can give something back someday.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.