2" affordable compression drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
crossing 2" Tad at 450Hz

I use JBL 2226Hs and TAD 4002s crossed at 450Hz. I have Bentwood 200Hz horns (large). This is the best sounding rig I have ever had. Amazing imaging, very tight percussion, astonishing, room-shaking bass.

I use Brutefir/DRC for crossover and room correction, and to flatten the frequency response. I have recently attached Viston TL-16s crossed at 13K, but I'm not sure they are necessary (still evaluating). It really sounds great as a 2-way without the tweeters. Of course, I can switch back and forth very easily with brutefir.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: crossing 2" Tad at 450Hz

garlandstephens said:
I use JBL 2226Hs and TAD 4002s crossed at 450Hz. I have Bentwood 200Hz horns (large). This is the best sounding rig I have ever had. Amazing imaging, very tight percussion, astonishing, room-shaking bass.

I use Brutefir/DRC for crossover and room correction, and to flatten the frequency response. I have recently attached Viston TL-16s crossed at 13K, but I'm not sure they are necessary (still evaluating). It really sounds great as a 2-way without the tweeters. Of course, I can switch back and forth very easily with brutefir.

pics?

crossing 2" Tad at 450Hz

The JBLs are in 10 cubic foot sealed boxes, stuffed with fiberglass. They are made from 3/4" MDF. At some point, I want to make new boxes with more interior bracing and constrained-layer damping, but that will have to wait until I have a lot more time than I expect to have anytime soon.

I'll try and post some pics in the next day or two.

PIC: JBL 2226H + TAD 4002 + Visaton TL-16

They are bigger than this picture suggests - about 4 feet tall by 3 feet deep.

Attachments

• pict0010.jpg
    pict0010.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,471
Nice Job Stephens.

I just tried to xover the JBL @450hz, working well. I would just need to put some pading inside and I will also try to reduce the volume, they wouldn't play as low but they would be more confortable.

Same for my T90A, very nice tweeter.

I just don't know if I buy some 12" or if I wait...

Hello,

just to talk about some of the things I have been doing on the system for one year even if I was not often at home :

I got Mc Cauley 2" compression drivers
I loaded the JBL 2226H on a small 65L cabinet and compared to the 140L one : better mids, goes a little less low. Better and smaller.
I got JBL 2382 horns and I will start to build bigger horns.

Good support from McCauley, they are great ! I may consider using one of these kick *** mid speaker...

I also want to campare T90A vs 2405H

Amps are : Crown K2, Lab Gruppen Lab 300 *2
Filter : Ozone + Emu 1820M
Cutoffs : 7-800 ; 7000

hi

i have used recently for a short time a 25" diameter round tractrix horn with a Radian 950pb , crossed at 300hz/12db, and it was AMAZING. Big, open, dinamic sound. Natural, no horn honk.
I don't believe distortion matters, since you listen only with a few watts.

Vincent Brient recomends the Radian to use even down to 220hz, with a bigger horn.

Treble beams a littlebit, a horntweeter helps to solve the problem.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12312992@N07/2364802312/

Angelo

316a said:
Hi, Sorry I'm late . What's wrong with Tad ? I got my TD4001 second hand for £450 the pair . You can pick up units with blown diaphragms much cheaper and reload with Radian replacements for around the same cost .

A TAD without the diaphragm... hmm, what exactly is it that makes a TAD desirable without the diaphragm? IIRC they have old-tech alnico magnets that force the use of a long, high-distortion throat. Any (highly debatable) benefits of the magnet material would undoubtedly vanish compared to the throat problem.

Eighteensound ND 2060A

This is an excellent sounding driver. Have tried lots of various B&C, Beyma, RCF and P-Audio, but this one beats them all. I am using it in a 30 cm dia tractrix horn and listen to it just slightly off axis. Very transparent, excellent detail, smoothness and quite mellow tone compared to typical harsh titanium PA drivers. Here are some graphs:
my.php

ND2060ATractrix30cm1.jpg

ND2060ATractrix30cm2.jpg

Re: Re: Eighteensound ND 2060A

angeloitacare said:
hi

have you compared to Radian , or any vintage driver ? how much do these cost ? i might try them out...

Angelo
Have not compared to Radian, but this is actually 1.4" driver with 2" adapter, same as ND1460A. I am not interested in vintage drivers, sorry. The price in Germany is about 340 Eu.

tnargs said:

very nice to 10k

If you listen to it slightly off axis, it sounds very open, no need to cross it over to
a dedicated tweeter. Have done that but it sounds more coherent alone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.