2" affordable compression drivers - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2013, 12:11 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

Thomann can get Radians:

299 Euro 760pb
389 Euro 850pb
579 Euro 950pb

Been looking for reviews of the 760pb /8, seem rather scarce.
@Rewind, any personal opinions?
Old 15th July 2013, 01:56 PM   #132
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
If you were to pick one of these which would you choose?
be aware that sometimes they may not know the difference between a 2" voice coil and a 2" (exit) driver

I hope you know the difference, or else you may end being very disappointed
Old 24th July 2013, 08:45 AM   #133
diyAudio Member

Still poised and ready to purchase one to test out my horn.

last recommendations?
Old 24th October 2013, 11:11 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

one more bump...
Old 25th October 2013, 08:21 AM   #135
Radian is offline Radian  Germany
diyAudio Member

May I suggest not to be to focused on the Radian label.
If you can get Renkus Heinz or Emilar 2" exit drivers you get
equal performance to the Radians as these are all
designed by Jonas Renkus and differ only in areas that
do not alter the sonics to the point where anyone could
tell them apart.
I discarded 2" exit drivers for domestic use altogether.
A good 1" driver like Radian, Emilar, Renkus Heinz ect.
on a Seos 12" horn is pure bliss. Goes from 1khz to 18khz and
the top octave even sounds better than a really good bullet tweeter
because there is no integration problem.

Klaus
Old 25th October 2013, 09:48 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I will scour the net looking for some.

Seos...he one horn I cannot turn. have you heard OSWG waveguides? It was next on my list to try and make.
Old 25th October 2013, 01:14 PM   #137
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think OSWG should be mighty fine. A conical profile between the OS sections seems to be typical and you should then get ~constant-directivity, along with the need to apply required equalization above driver mass roll-off.

I just got myself a pair of Emilar EC-175 drivers for pretty cheap. In fact, much cheaper than just one replacement diaphragm from Radian, two of which I'm getting also. A quick check seemed to indicate they'll do well on the QSC waveguide I'm presently using BMS 4550 onto, a very delightful driver IMO. I'd have gotten 475PB had I not swung BMS' way. I also use the smaller 4540ND and had sworn I'd go Radian on my next purchase, which I sort of did with the Emilars.

One thing to note about the Emilar/Renkus drivers; while Radian makes replacement diaphragms for most if not all Emilar drivers, I think there might be none out there for the RH units, save for Chinese copies, dubious at best, so caveat emptor. One experienced user let me know the RH 1800 and 1801 drivers are quite though OTOH, having survived years of PA abuse and still being fit for hi-fi. The mylar suspension might be to thank in this case. One of my EC-175 had the centering ring unglued and I have not means to glue it back on with the required precision, though I still did my best, so I'm getting new Radian diaphragms. The RH drivers used a different centering system and might not suffer the way my Emilar did.

On a somewhat related note, Radian, would you know what the exit angle is on the EC-175 driver? I don't want to either remove phase plug or protective mesh to measure myself. I estimate it can't be more than ~20 if I set maximum boundaries to calculate throat geometry.

IG

Last edited by IG81; 25th October 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 25th October 2013, 06:13 PM   #138
Radian is offline Radian  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG81 View Post
I think OSWG should be mighty fine. A conical profile between the OS sections seems to be typical and you should then get ~constant-directivity, along with the need to apply required equalization above driver mass roll-off.

I just got myself a pair of Emilar EC-175 drivers for pretty cheap. In fact, much cheaper than just one replacement diaphragm from Radian, two of which I'm getting also. A quick check seemed to indicate they'll do well on the QSC waveguide I'm presently using BMS 4550 onto, a very delightful driver IMO. I'd have gotten 475PB had I not swung BMS' way. I also use the smaller 4540ND and had sworn I'd go Radian on my next purchase, which I sort of did with the Emilars.

One thing to note about the Emilar/Renkus drivers; while Radian makes replacement diaphragms for most if not all Emilar drivers, I think there might be none out there for the RH units, save for Chinese copies, dubious at best, so caveat emptor. One experienced user let me know the RH 1800 and 1801 drivers are quite though OTOH, having survived years of PA abuse and still being fit for hi-fi. The mylar suspension might be to thank in this case. One of my EC-175 had the centering ring unglued and I have not means to glue it back on with the required precision, though I still did my best, so I'm getting new Radian diaphragms. The RH drivers used a different centering system and might not suffer the way my Emilar did.

On a somewhat related note, Radian, would you know what the exit angle is on the EC-175 driver? I don't want to either remove phase plug or protective mesh to measure myself. I estimate it can't be more than ~20 if I set maximum boundaries to calculate throat geometry.

IG
I got Emilar EC175M, Renkus Heinz 1800 and the Radian 1" exit drivers.
Purchased the Emilar for $65 a piece at -bay and the R&H for $80 the pair.
Funny one of my Emiar drivers had the center ring also loose.
It is not so hard to fix. Find paper with the right thickness that you can rap
around the Voice Coil so that it fits snug in the Air Gap. Then put the
aluminum centering ring with evenly applied clue on the surround, but be
careful that there is no spill over. Now just screw the back-cover back on
and wait till the glue has bonded.
Take the diaphragm out and remove paper. When you put it back in the
diaphragm is centered like it suppose to.

@Studio AU
The Seos 12" is so cheap that there is no point in trying anything DIY.
Erich sells it for 28 Bucks a piece.

Old 25th October 2013, 06:44 PM   #139
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Got the pair of EC-175 for 75$, not bad for a driver that is touted to be a notch over Altec 802.

Clever trick to fix the loose ring, I'll have to try it and keep the old diaphragms as backup. Actually, the mylar that comprises the suspension also seems to extend under that ring, and a fair bit of that was torn, though not at the suspended part of the suspension, so I'm not to certain how the best case scenario can turn out, but it's worth trying! I'll probably try a non-blooming cyanoacrylate or something else that is not too viscous or runs thick as to not affect the diaphragm-to-phaseplug gap and avoid run-off.

IG

Hide this!Advertise here!