Is this possible? Really small enclousure still capable of working on its own?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I wanted to try something different for this project. I'm intrested in small really small enclosures. Since I lack the experience to design loudspeakers on my own I wanted to scout the field to see what is available. The specifications I'm roughly looking for. F3 ~60-70Hz Volume ~3-10 liters 0.10 -0.35 ft^3 (the smaller the better) . Somewhat cheap to build would also be desirable.

I had great success with Creative Sound's FR125 in a 7 l (0.23cu ft3) box tuned to 70hz as well as a 9l (0.3cu ft3) box sealed.

It does what you require and even smaller volumes can be used at the expense of some bass depth. www.creativesound.ca has link's to planet10's site with more designs ranging from 2.5l to 200l

My total cost was about USD230 for a pair of the drivers, precut mdf panels from a local wood merchant (also drilled holes for me), baffle step compensation crossover, wiring, spring clip connectors and 2 deflex panels. Bear in mind this cost is higher than yours as I built this in Singapore (shipping cost of drivers, precut mdf, etc).

You will need a baffle step compensation circuit that The Edge program can calculate for you. It's only 2 resistors and an inductor per speaker.

They are only 86db and requires at least 50w for small rooms, 100w for medium ones. I use 100w in a 9'x12' room but was happy with a decent 50w amp. You can forget about a pair of these in large rooms or open areas due to the fact that 4.5" can only give you so much volume.

Another issue to take note is that being a single driver, the off axis response of the highs are bad. You must listen with the drivers toed in, crossing at slightly in front of your head. Causal listening is fine for me though. You can add a tweeter using a simple 1st order crossover but that would drive the cost up by at least USD$50 methinks. The bad off axis response worked well in my situation as I listen nearfield in a very bare/lively concrete apartment room.

haffe:
Do you noticed this:
www.hifitalo.fi
There is a many tiny models that fit on your specification.Sorry, it's only finnish language but there is a many potential projects,cheap,easily build and so on.You see straightforward what drivers and components you need.There is also some measurement.

Click "rakennussarjat"(top on the left)then click "audiokit" or "Hifi-lehden sarjat"

Those numbers front of models name tells you cabinet size and how many ways there is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.