Fostex as a midrange?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm contemplating a unique three way system. I've never seen it done and any comments or experiences would be most welcome.

I'm thinking the Fostex FE168E Sigma would make a wonderful midrange due to it's extended frequency response. The loading is the only problem I can see. I've read several threads on this site about double bass reflex cabinet design. (WCOIL, if you read this I would appreciate your input)

I think I can get away from rear horn loading by using the double bass reflex for the fostex and seperating the enclosure from the woofer box. MTWW configuration.

Any suggestions?:)

I have a similar idea. I plan to use Fe168eZ as a mid/fullrange from ca 150hz with a supertweeter on top.

In the bottom end i will have one active subwoofer for each channel. It is possible to let them roll of at 150hz with good results. (a future project would maybe be an active 10" mid/sub bass who plays at higher frequensies)

My question is the loading. What is the best solution? Is it possible to make it without any kind of filter? What about a closed sphere in order to avoid ripple?

:)
Hans Erik

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As sreten says, no point doing anything but sealed or aperiodic (an aperiodic TL is a favorite of mine) when used as a mid... or open baffle.

Basszilla uses a 208 as a mid, Von Schwikart (sp?) uses an FX120.

Any decent FR makes a great midrange, althou on some of them you do more harm than good by adding a tweeter (FF85k, Alpair7, Alpair10.2)

dave

Ok, some more Q.:

1) Do you have any suggestion for volum and baffel width for a sealed cabinet?

2) Will it be smart to use the Suprabaffle on a sealed cabinet?

3) Is "aperiodic" an accoustic vent (a port with foam inside)?

4) Will an OB solution increase the risk for exceeding x-max?

5) Is it possible to reach down to 150hz with one of theese solutions?

:)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1) Do you have any suggestion for volum and baffel width for a sealed cabinet?
2) Will it be smart to use the Suprabaffle on a sealed cabinet?
3) Is "aperiodic" an accoustic vent (a port with foam inside)?
4) Will an OB solution increase the risk for exceeding x-max?
5) Is it possible to reach down to 150hz with one of theese solutions?

1/ depends on driver, FE168eS in sealed Q=707 box (3.7 litre) has F3 of 139 Hz
2/ outside of the box would be best if it has low diffraction and has no bafflestep until you get to the XO frequency
3/ that is one way of doing it. I like aperiodic TLs for midrange use.
4/ Yes
5/ yes

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.