diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   open baffle bass-dipole-what amp (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/92011-open-baffle-bass-dipole-what-amp.html)

felixx 11th December 2006 11:28 AM

open baffle bass-dipole-what amp

I wondering what type of amplifier is suitable for bass drivers in open baffle.
I have two 15" per side spl=98db but I go active with some boost.
I know that is power eating and I need an amp with high damper factor but I ask.
Do you think A class is suitable for that or should I go in AB class amps?

bigwill 11th December 2006 11:31 AM

I would definitely use a Class-AB amp for this application.

wigginjs 11th December 2006 11:47 AM

Class D? Cheaper?

felixx 11th December 2006 11:53 AM

Class D?...hmmmm...maybe or maybe not.......Don't forget the quality....quality makes the difference....and that is on top on my preferences.

soundcheck 11th December 2006 12:02 PM

Digital is the way to go! Clean and crispy bass. Ideal match for dipole woofers.

I am currently running my dipole sub-woofers with Icepower 1000ASP digital amps via Behringer DCX2496. That gives me a lot of headroom. :D Some might call that overkill. :smash:

I think the hypex UCD modules are a real good choice too.

4 channel T-AMPs at 180$ rated 4*100W should do very well. You'd get the same gain, input characteristics and sonic characteristics troughout your system .
I am thinking by myself trying that. Audiodigit and 41Hz offers them.

Consider - If you equalize your subs in the low-ends you need quite some extra power for the low-end.
It'll heavily depend on the drivers QTS though.

Klaus

felixx 11th December 2006 12:10 PM

@soundcheck
Yes ,you have right about eq.It's needed a little extra power.
The qts is 1,25....and maybe not too much eq.....but still a little,yes.:)
Tell me more about the "quality" of T amps...you know...the noise,the warm ..and other things,because...I still have 95db per driver and on that spl any noise is easy detectable.

wigginjs 11th December 2006 12:23 PM

I think it is a generally accepted postulate that the amplifier quality matters much less in the low frequency area, which is why Class D or Class G amps are very acceptable for subwoofer use, but somewhat questionable for full range use. I may be wrong here.

felixx 11th December 2006 12:29 PM

Hmmmm....The main driver is 8" Supravox full range and I will go for them with tube amps.
But for the bass drivers it seems a little bit extra power...considering eq.
Still ....I'm looking for the best suitable amp for that...high dumping factor,fast slew/rate responce,wide band freqv....etc.

soundcheck 11th December 2006 01:12 PM

Look for the trendsaudio 100$ amp and the 6 moons review!
And read the >100 threads about t-Amps.
Then you know more about T-Amp. :D

I am runnung a modded Charlize T-Amp by myself and I am very happy with it.

I think it's the way to go and forget about the tube hassle.

You need a nice sounding highquality and fast amp for the lower
mids/upperbass.For the crossover area (probably around 100Hz) it's best if the amps do have the same sonic and electric characteristics and quality. Otherwise the sub-amps mess up your lower mids!
And from 60Hz upwards sonic characterisics do matter.

Cheers

Klimon 11th December 2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

but somewhat questionable for full range use
Not really, many seem to prefer D-class over high-end mosfet amps and some over tube-amps. I would definitely look into the kits offered at 41hz.com . If you can buy surplus transformers you'll have acces to a very versatile range of high power amps, and that for little money. The amps are creditcard-sized and heat dissipation of the output devices is negligible: a fraction of conventional mosfet amps. fwiw I'm also planning to build a pair of mono-bridged Kit1 amps for ripole subs.

Simon