open baffle bass-dipole-what amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Digital is the way to go! Clean and crispy bass. Ideal match for dipole woofers.

I am currently running my dipole sub-woofers with Icepower 1000ASP digital amps via Behringer DCX2496. That gives me a lot of headroom. :D Some might call that overkill. :smash:

I think the hypex UCD modules are a real good choice too.

4 channel T-AMPs at 180$ rated 4*100W should do very well. You'd get the same gain, input characteristics and sonic characteristics troughout your system .
I am thinking by myself trying that. Audiodigit and 41Hz offers them.

Consider - If you equalize your subs in the low-ends you need quite some extra power for the low-end.
It'll heavily depend on the drivers QTS though.

Klaus

Look for the trendsaudio 100$ amp and the 6 moons review!
And read the >100 threads about t-Amps.
Then you know more about T-Amp. :D

I am runnung a modded Charlize T-Amp by myself and I am very happy with it.

I think it's the way to go and forget about the tube hassle.

You need a nice sounding highquality and fast amp for the lower
mids/upperbass.For the crossover area (probably around 100Hz) it's best if the amps do have the same sonic and electric characteristics and quality. Otherwise the sub-amps mess up your lower mids!
And from 60Hz upwards sonic characterisics do matter.

Cheers

but somewhat questionable for full range use

Not really, many seem to prefer D-class over high-end mosfet amps and some over tube-amps. I would definitely look into the kits offered at 41hz.com . If you can buy surplus transformers you'll have acces to a very versatile range of high power amps, and that for little money. The amps are creditcard-sized and heat dissipation of the output devices is negligible: a fraction of conventional mosfet amps. fwiw I'm also planning to build a pair of mono-bridged Kit1 amps for ripole subs.

Simon

Klimon said:

Not really, many seem to prefer D-class over high-end mosfet amps and some over tube-amps.

Including me ! ;)

Days of these good old early days digital-amps myths are over. Give'em good, clean, pure power and they outperform anything.

Look at commercial products. Such as Jeff Rowland etc.. They just can't ignore that fact . They do have digital-amps as a base for their products! It's not only the DIY crowd relying on digital-amps.

Cheers

@soundcheck
The Behringer DCX2496 is not a good option ...in my opinion.The noise is too much present...and is NOT from analog stages.I tryed to replace that analog op's with AD 829 and LT 1226.All that procesing and converters is too noises....at least for my ears.
If you want a better solution in loudspeaker management I think
the BSS Omnidrive is a better solution.
Maybe for your spl is not an issue.

The spl on my speakers is 98db and that will be a problem for amplifiers.

This is my tube amp and the sound is not with that caracteristical tube amplifiers sonic....less colorations in the sound,a better responce in frecv. and a overall good sound...almost neutral sound.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71300&perpage=10&pagenumber=131

I have no doubt about the quality of Ice ....and other few firms who have implement this options on quality products.
Many of class D have parameters similar with 90's - hi-fi amps but on small "footprint".

I read some reviews about T amps but ....my concern is the level of noise on 98-100db spl speakers.

Anyone tryed class D on that spl?

I am using the Behringer for the subs only.
The noise is not a big issue for the subs.
BSS omnidrive is a different league -pricewise nothing.
I'd rather look up a pure DSP solution.

There are several threads here refering to Behringer mods.
I just changed out some caps in the input and output stages for now.

I am running Bastanis fullrange speakers at 98dB SPL.
No issues with noise! I filterd the T-AMp against RF/EMI quite well.
That makes a difference. The output coils need also some shielding.
But, since you run the amps ( for the fullrange) at very low output current and voltage, the radiation will be very low and therefore not an issue.

My choice:
I'd say the 4 chanel T-AMP (by paralleling 2 chanels)
and a nice SMPS will give you more than a decent punch for your subs.

You can even play with your fullrange if you not use the chanels in parallel!

I don't think that Ice or Hypex will perform very different.
I can't help here , i havn't really compared them.

You might find some threads around here comparing them.
AFAIK the Ices are not sold als DIY modules.
So Hypex would be the way to go.

Cheers

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
felixx said:
I read some reviews about T amps but ....my concern is the level of noise on 98-100db spl speakers.

The small T-Amps are dead quiet. I test them on rigs up to 106dB/W No noise, unless you stick your ear in the horn.

But of course you need higher power, higher gain amps. So noise may become a problem - but that would be true of any amp. Most users are very happy with the low noise foor of Class-D amps, tho. Even the high power models.

With a good, strong power supply a Class-D amp can really grab your woofers with a firm hand and give them a good shake.

As I said earlier. I am running my subs with Ices, because I had them around. They're doing a great job. I don't miss anything. My T-AMP runs also very dynamic.
I had the Ices running my fullrange and tweeter before.
I prefer my battery powered T-Amp running my fullrangers instead of IcePower. That might be a different story if you have low efficiency speakers.

Cheers

Hmmmm....The main driver is 8" Supravox full range and I will go for them with tube amps.
But for the bass drivers it seems a little bit extra power...considering eq.
Still ....I'm looking for the best suitable amp for that...high dumping factor,fast slew/rate responce,wide band freqv....etc.

Hi Felix,

similar set up here. Lamdba td15S + Supravox 215 rtf64 + ESG1 ribbons.

I equalize the bass some 20db between 200 and 20hz. I have just bought a second hand yamaha p4500 for 200 pounds. I am using a Charlize (TA2020) on the supravox. Dcx2496 for xover. I still need to buy a tweeter amp.

I have set them up last weekend. Very nice...
best
Giulio

Bass amps are less important - I am not sure.

I had a pair of dual monoblocks driving a pair of Peerless XLS 12" in U-frames. They are rated 135W into 8R and about 200+W into 4R, capable of 2.5R load with 120,000uF capacitor bank and twin 625VA toroidal transformers.

I also had the same monoblocks with high power MOSFETs and higher rails so the amplifiers are rated at 400W into 8R per channel.

Which one sound better? the 400W monoblocks for sure. Actually much better.

The XO is at 100Hz but good bass still needs good amplification.

Of course, it depends on the rest of the system as well.

Regards,
Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.