Some simple (for most, not me though) x-over questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2002, 07:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Some simple (for most, not me though) x-over questions

I have a few more questions.

I'm going to copy alvaius and go with the cross-over point at 2.3 KHz cause he knows better than me what it should be. And the lower woofer will be LP at 6 db/octive at 400 Hz coppying alvaius. I will use the R/C combination Wombat gave me at 5.1 ohms and .68 or .73 uF cap. Where or how can I find out the exact value? Any body every hear of this kind of filter?

When I got the values for my x-over I use the impedances at the x-over frequencies, right? Not the nominal impedances. 7.09 ohms for tweeter and 13.6 ohms for woofer at 2.3 KHz. And for bottom woofer at 400 Hz it's around 7 ohms I would say. Do I need a zobel network for the bottom woofer? Impedance was taken by alvaius at this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/ forums/show...highlight=zetag

As you might have guessed I plan to compensate for the baffle step with the bottom woofer. The baffle is 11" (27.5 cm) wide, with the corners angle cut I think it will be like 10" (25 cm). So I think the baffle step will be like 500 Hz (don't know exactly yet, any one know a good website for baffle step). My question is how many db down should the bottom woofer be at 500 Hz? I was thinking the bottom woofer should be at least 3 db down at 500 hz.

Also I have a bunch of 18 gauge inductors that I might use is it bad to use these for sound quality or is it okay as long as I factor in the resistance of these inductors into my calculations?

And I'm not going with resistors for the tweeter cause the woofer and the tweeter are both around 91 db sensativity. Is this a good idea? Do I need resistors or attenuation circuit?

Does anybody know how to measure the impedance of resistors? I used an ohms/volt meter, but I got an impedance of infinfity. Does it have to have power running threw it when you measure the impedance?

Does it matter that the top and bottom woofer are now in the same sealed (with T-shirts in port) enclosure? If playing top woofer frequencies (above 500 Hz only) and lower woofer isn't moving the top woofer will act like it's in free air, I think. 1 - woofers VAS is 42.22 liters and the box is 47 liters. This is going to be bad right? What should I do about this? Try to make the top woofer sealed (might be to late though)?

As you can see I don't know exactly what I'm doing, so any help is appreciated.

Hide this!Advertise here!