tweeter extremes...which end of the spectrum to choose?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got the opportunity to snag a pair of Aurum Cantus G3s for a REAL nice price. I could get them for ~$350 shipped for the pair or so.

Now, heres the problem. The midrange im using is the Seas Excel W18E, and it REQUIRES a 1.6khz crossover minimum (huge 3rd harmonic peak at 1600hz). I've been planning on using the Peerless HDS 1" tweeter, because its capable of running that low but I would absolutely love to run a pair of ribbons

I picked up a brand new Crown XLS-402 on ebay for $220 shipped, and have yet to decide whether it has enough power to run a pair of Dayton Reference 15s in OB. If not, I can hook it up to my W18Es and get a XLS-602 (only 200 more watts) for the 15s, but $150+ more. Regardless, I have the budget to power the W18Es to their liking (theyre being crossed at 250hz) and will have >200 watts x 2 @ 8ohm available for them.

The Peerless HDS 1" would cost $120 shipped + $240 for a Crown XLS-202 ~$360

The Aurum Cantus G3s would cost about $330-350 + $30 for a t-amp

(100dB sensitivity...Im only going to need a few watts to level match with the seas and daytons)

Aurum Cantus recommends a minimum crossover of 2300hz for the G3 (not sure what order the filter is). I am required to cross the ribbon at 1.6khz at the highest, but have access to LR8 filters.

Which option should I go for?

Also, should 400 x 2 @ 4 be enough for a pair of Dayton Reference 15 HFs on a 24" Open baffle from 50-250hz?

I think the 402 should be great for the RS 15s. By my estimate, the drivers can't really be driven to Xmax above 30-35 hz due to their thermal limit of 500 watts. The 402 should push those drivers to just short of 110 db at one watt; I don't think you'll do much better than that.

The G3s sound really tempting, but unless someone speaks up with direct experience I really don't think you can make it work with the W18E. Besides, it seems like you're going for extreme SPL (or loads of headroom), and even if the G3 can be made to go low, it probably won't do so at its top volume.

I think you were right on track with that peerless tweeter. The measurements on it look great.

Also, I have a word of caution about the XLS-402. It's a great amp, and we used it for a lot of parties in college- but sometimes we had problems with hum and buzz. It was probably the 150 year old house's wiring combined with dirt cheap signal sources. I don't know if it's fair to blame the amp, but that was my experience. You'll know fairly quickly if it's going to be an issue, and there are many strategies for fixing that kind of problem.

Bottom line- XLS-402 should be plenty of power for the RS-15s. Peerless HDS (in my opinion) is far, far better for the application.

Hi thadman,

I haven't used the Aurum Cantus G3's but I have used the Dayton PT2B-8
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=275-085
with an active LR4 filter crossover at 2.1khz with great results. The Dayton website describes this tweeter as having a frequency response of 2k - 26k so I am pushing close to its lower limit, but with no apparent strain.

The Dayton web page for the G3
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=276-412
lists its frequency range as 1.3k -40k. In comparison to what I'm doing and considering you have LR8 filters available, you might get away with your 1.6khz crossover point.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.