Corner Horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2006, 02:54 PM   #1
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Default Corner Horn

Hi,

I have got some good response from respected people on the idea to mount the woofer in the horn mouth

Heres another idea which could be used in almost any room

Cornerhorn is said to use the whole end of the room as mouth, and this should mean that there will less phase problem with woofer ???

Besides this it should be easy to build, and another advantage is NO paralel surface - I hope my drawing makes sense
Attached Images
File Type: png corner horn.png (15.6 KB, 903 views)
Old 6th December 2006, 03:14 AM   #2
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yep, that works for me. I have 2 10" wide range in corner enclosers, presently assisted by a 10" bass. Not a sub, nothing subsonic about it.

I found the location of the bass critical. It wants to be in one corner. In the centre of the wall, it gave a new meaning to walking bass. I tried reversing the phase without joy. That's in a room just shy of 13ft wide.

Best BSC I know of.

Geoff
Old 6th December 2006, 04:07 PM   #3

I would really like to build it myself, but my present room is not ideal for this

Reason is, I guess it would be possible to have nice and effective bass with even fairly cheap woofers
Old 6th December 2006, 09:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ah ah. Rule no 1. The system must match the room. The room becomes part of the system.

You could invert them. Place them UP in the otherwise unused corners. I prefer my W/R above ear level. Less clutter, clean air etc.

Geoff.

edit: Economical speakers can be used, with success, if we are cunning.
Old 6th December 2006, 09:41 PM   #5
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

You could try not having the drivers in the corners but having just the mouth in the corners.

Since the corner will augment the mouth, you will only need to build the long narrow section of the horn which can run from driver to corner.

Since the corner is a conical section, experiment with values for the built mouth size to match so that the corner comes closest to approximating your flare, rather than acting like a jump in size or conversely, a restriction.
Old 6th December 2006, 10:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Mmmmm Sounds like a Klipsh rear loaded QWTL coming on here. It may look a bit odd, the "towers" could be angled down to bring the drivers down away from the ceiling and closer to head height.

Geoff
Old 7th December 2006, 04:20 PM   #7

Its like a puzzle

For several years i have thought of how to make a SIMPLE triangular shaped corner horn

IF you mount speaker on the front baffle, you will have the last horn section in the corner, and thereby loose space and surface to construct the horn.... hope it makes sense

The solution came with the idea of mounting the driver in hornmouth, and thereby have the last horn section away from the corner, having much more surface to work with - and at the same time have the corner to load the front of driver

Problem is ofcourse, that it is restricted to use only as basshorn - on the other hand it ought to be wider in frequency than a frontloaded horn - anyway the idea was to use a cheap 12", which would be of no use at higher frquencies anyway

actually there is a nice cheap 12" Pioneer, 91-92db, Fs 19hz(?)

Any ideas of how low such a thing would go, and which efficiency to expect with such a driver ?????

Old 7th December 2006, 09:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Nothing like a puzzle to start the day.

Due to the non directional attributes of speakers at low frequencies,
any speaker placed in a corner, becomes horn loaded. A square box will leave gaps, reducing coupling.

The triangle x-section overcomes that. The simplest way is a front ported BR. You could go all out and build a Klipsch, lots of timber and 45 deg cuts.

In between those extreems is the corner cabinet design by Wharfedale in the 50s. The duct port is in the back, or the apex, firing down. The cabinet is on legs, so the port breathes in the very corner of the room.

Now, that 10 bass driver I mentioned earlier is nothing more than a Dai-1chi HWF10-40. Bought about 15 years back. Spent most of it's life in a cupboard, and a few months as a sub in my son's car.

I wanted something to reinforce the lower end, the 10" w/r not quite getting there. So one of my other Wharfedales came out of its cabinet, and in went the HF10-40, connected to a Altec Lansing ACS45 mm system with a low pass filter, so the bass only covers up to 80 Hz. It's good when a "throw together" works! Great when there's no additional cost.

That Pioneer 12 would probably work best in a sealed enclosure of about 3 cubic feet if the fs is 19Hz. My 10" driver's fs is 41Hz, hence the BR, which needs a slightly longer port. Or treat the cone.

Food for thought.

Geoff
Old 7th December 2006, 09:42 PM   #9
lndm is offline lndm  Australia
diyAudio Member

Some thoughts on this. If you were to build a fairly common baffle, you could attach a bass horn that went into the corner. If you lined up your cutoffs and tuned and damped accordingly, the horn would make baffle step compensation unnecessary, and this means the driver wouldn't need to go into the corner.

OTOH if you design the horn to play louder than the driver and only want bass from it, it isn't going to matter as much where the driver goes.

In my experience, appropriately designed corner loaded bass horns can get you to 20Hz with ease.
Old 7th December 2006, 10:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Like this 60 year old example.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...px#description

Hide this!Advertise here!