Dr.Bose and Radioshack..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
He used Radio Shack speakers as the benchmark for determining if his speakers were living up to the high standards people were setting for audio gear

He should have been basing his SQ and design decisions on something more high-quality than the speakers RadioShack sells. Some really unique finds have come out of RadioShack product development but on the whole there really hasn't been anything of significant quality. Many RadioShack speakers I found in Canada used piezo tweeters (if you can believe that.) Definitely not Hi-Fi.

That's the point being made by Bose(o).

exceot for ...

Except for some 'cute' gizmo's, has anything ever come out of Radio Shack that was high end or even hi fi?

Back in Belgium i sometimes tried to go to Tandy (radio shack' brand name in europe long time ago.. they had some stuff for the diy a bit of electrical components, a bit of electronic components and replacement speakers for regular radio's, At that time they were selling soldering irons but no Wellers or Ersa. I did not understand that...
As soon as i saw the blue light inside the receivers that lined up against the wall i thought they were BS.. ing me and insulting the high end audience .
I rarely go in there any more, plus the way that 'can i help you today sir? sounds brrrrrrr.....
and then the constant lying about products .... geeeee one time i needed coax for outside just a few feet , i sent my wife, she comes back with a 15 ft coax with no specs and the cable looked a bit flimsy : no rg58, 59, 6 . I call the guy and ask him if it is ok to use it outside against a wall, sure he says it is UV protected pvc! yep same way my a.. is uv protected , 6 monts later the plastic white coating was swelling!!!!!!!!! 15 ft for 7.95
1st class radio shack stuff...

There are more serious jokes i would like to tell about radio shack but this is not the right place i supose.

Jean-Pierre

Definintly not a Jean?:D I have a connection at Radioshack so I get deals on the parts that are worth buying, my Sennheisers and so on. I forget who posted about my point, but you got it right on! Why would he use Radioshack?? C'mon! At least use other brands from the 450 companies that were selling these speakers.

I also found later that Dr.Bose believes that the distortion is put upon by what happens after the sound radiates from the enclosure so that, speaker components inside are lacking 'quality'. Paper components and so on.

I have a question that arose from this. Has anyone heard the 2201 speaker? Did the speakers come with an amplifier, equalizer branded Model 360? I have seen that on ebay.

I'm much too young for the following comment however. If you look at when they were using the Radio Shack speakers for their comparisons, they were in fact regarded as more leading edge than the (forgive me) current cheesy quality they sell.
Perhaps cheesy is too harsh. (I don't want to be banned from their stores) Lets just say they are no longer considered to be "high-end" equipment.

Don't forget, they are actually selling some items worth looking at now... Acoustic Research, Sennheiser, Recoton cables (acoutsic research) I have seen many gold binding posts just waiting to be bolted to the back of my speakers but, I witheld myself remembering that I could get the same or better for mucho cheaper at Solen. This post should be in the 'radiosh_t' thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.