I Think I Understand Baffle Step...Plz Confirm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So.....generically speaking, when the wavelength produced by the speaker is the size of the cabinet, it reflects off the cabinet, giving you approx. 6 dB more SPL....that I understand.

For the longest time I could not understand why it is a "loss" of bass and not a gain in "midrange/treble".

I think I know why, please confirm.

When a speaker is rated at say 87 dB, that is as measured on a large baffle, which means with the +6 db baffle step. So when that 87 dB speaker is used on a narrow cabinet (narrower then the test baffle), you get a ~6 dB loss in SPL, correct????

It is in fact a gain in midrange and treble, but since everyone uses speakers mounted on some kind of baffle or another (the driver itself acts as a baffle to frequencies that ‘small’ relative to it), it is taken into account in the efficiency rating, yes. So relatively speaking you get a bass drop.

Also, baffle step is not generally considered to be when the wavelength is bigger or smaller than the baffle, but usually done by the half wavelength. So if the half wavelength is bigger than the baffle you get the drop in bass.

At least I hope that is right :D

This is just a semantic problem. There are two ways of looking at it.

1. If the driver is thought of as playing in full space at low frequencies, there will be a gain of 6 dB at high frequencies compared to the level at low frequencies due to the baffle step.

2. If the driver first is mounted in an infinitely large baffle, there will be a 6 dB gain over the entire frequency range. If the baffle then is narrowed to the size of an ordinary loudspeaker, there is a loss of 6 dB at low frequencies.

Once both points are understood, it becomes unimportant which explanation model you choose, since they are equivalent (sort of).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

69stingray said:

When a speaker is rated at say 87 dB, that is as measured on a large baffle, which means with the +6 db baffle step. So when that 87 dB speaker is used on a narrow cabinet (narrower then the test baffle), you get a ~6 dB loss in SPL, correct????

Hi,

Yes you are correct. Drivers are measured with pi loading.
Boxes have 2pi loading in the bass, going up to pi in the midrange.
So compared to measured pi response, boxes are -6dB in the bass.

:)/sreten.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Tenson,
Good to see another Opera Browser user on the forum!

Link is working now.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 207
Originally posted by 69stingray

Hi,

Yes you are correct. Drivers are measured with pi loading.
Boxes have 2pi loading in the bass, going up to pi in the midrange.
So compared to measured pi response, boxes are -6dB in the bass.

/sreten.

Thanks everyone. I have read the different diffraction websites but was still missing something....I was missing the connection that the spec'd sensitivity of speaker already has the approx. +6 dB factored in.

So, part II of my question. How wide is the standard baffle speaker mfg. determine the sensitivity with? The reason why I ask, does the sensitivity of larger woofers, like a 12" or 15" woofers have the "baffle step" factored in? Or since they are measured at such a low freq. they are measured with "2pi" loading?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's a nice page. Well explained.

In a related question - What is the transition wavelength for an Open Baffle? The point at which the rear wave meets front wave and causes the 6dB drop.

I know I've read the calculation before, but can't seem to find it anywhere now. Searched all over. Just the quick and dirty. You know - baffle is this wide so bass starts roll off at this frequency.

Strange that I can't find it. Is it hiding in plain sight?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.