sony ss-mf600h

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anyone have any complaints with these speakers? the mid speakers on mine seem to try too hard to reproduce the higher freqs. really harsh at higher volume. i know that my yamaha 5150 @ 60-65w 20-20 is a little week for the 200w max sony's. i have never delt with a problem in the highs by under powering before. is this my sole prob. or is the crossover crap? shallenn

I think that most of us here wouldn't pick Sony speakers as our first choice. Their speakers don't have the reputation as do some of their higher end electronics, and for a good reason. But, we can always go back to the basics.

Are the speakers new? If so, give them some time to break in. But what I'd suggest is opening up the cabinet and taking a look. You'd be amazed at what you can find in mass market loudspeakers. Sometimes, they don't even have a crossover! Sometimes, its just a resistor or a cap thrown into series to prevent low frequencies from reaching the tweet, and the "bass" drivers arent crossed over. Take a look, you may be unpleasantly surprised. Let us know, we may have some suggestions afterwards

yes im aware of everything you mentioned super. but these speakers still suit my needs, except for the harsh highs. i have not cracked the cabinet open yet to see the "manufactured" quality---ha! yes i have burnt the speakers in. and now that i have i need to address the things that can be approved on. thanks for the reply!
shallenn

well, i opened them up and yes i was surprised. i at least figured it would have a crossover of some degree.NOPE!! well theres a cap in line on the mid and high but i dont consider that a crossover... lows are getting full range. i want to build a crossover for these speakers now. but i have questions....i want a 3 way but dont really know where to cross over at. is there a way to know the best xover points for a three way system? my main complaints in these speakers is : a little much mid bass from dual 8"s ---and mid trying too hard to reproduce highs, and would like a little more lower tones in the mid range---as for the 50khz tweets i cant quit tell due to the screeching mid speaker. any sug. or do i need to post the cap ratings that are on the mid and high and go from there?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.