Stromberg Carlson speaker...please help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi !
First, I don't know much about speakers. Have a few very good ones (Altec, Klipsch) but my world are Tube Amps.

But, a few years I bought a pair of very interesting Stromberg Carlson speakers.

But the Results were poor. They sound awful and terrible and need huge amounts of Power, total unusual !

May be you know more about these ones. Here are some Pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hope you know something about them. They were not cheap.. :mad: :(

Regards, Simon

Whoa! I'm not surprised they don't sound great... the coax conetweeter filtered merely by a capacitor, yuck!

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to put it that bad...

What you could try to make the midrange a bit more acceptable is add a coil to the bassdriver (and first place the cap external or wire it 'round, the tweeter should not be fed through the coil offcourse. If you want things to become any descent you should apply an appropriate filter....A good cabinet should do the rest...

And why soooo many pictures, I get the idea ok?

No offence offcourse..;)

- suspect Qts is around 1 so open baffle or aperiodic box may work if not pushed too hard. Some of S-C's Celotex/cardboard cabinets with similar woofer and oval mid and HF drivers sounded pretty good tonally - if not efficient - you might replace the old tweeter capacitor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.