Equinox - Jupiter ; What you think? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2006, 12:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Equinox - Jupiter ; What you think?

Hi Guys,

Have you heard of Equinox before? What do you think of here Speakers? Im looking into the Jupiter model.

Jupiter - Roman chief of gods; largest of the planets

Frequency Response 23-26,000Hz +/-3dB @ 1M
23-20,000Hz +/-3dB @ 3.5M
Efficiency 95dB @ 1W/1M
Impedance 2.5 Ohms nominal
Phase Response +/- 60 Degrees - 200hz to 20,000hz
Power Rating 80-400 wrms
Crossover 600 hz - 4 khz
Drivers 4 x 210mm 2 x 130mm 1 x 25mm
Dimensions H 1622mm x W 320mm x D 680mm
Weight 165Kg
Cabinet 64mm - 32mm MDF

About $8.5k
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd December 2006, 04:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks pretty, but way more money than I'd ever spend on a pair of speakers. They might sound good, but your ears are the ones that are going to be listening to them and for that sort of money, a long audition would be neccessary.

Me, I'll stick to horns.
Old 2nd December 2006, 06:52 AM   #3
Irakli is offline Irakli  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks well made and uses nice Audax drivers (read a rewiew in HT magazine).
One could tell that it was designed for LOUD music reproduction and no doubt it will sound good at high volume with rock music.
Low level detail is completely different matter. You need to go and listen carefully (8.5K is a big money)
And the most important thing is to know clearly for yourself what you want from these speakers. Why Jupiter vs. Thor or other boutique speakers.

Old 2nd December 2006, 09:09 PM   #4
phibes is offline phibes  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Nick,

I've heard the Jupiters several times now at the annual Home Entertainment show here in Melbourne. They are a superb sounding speaker and very solid construction, however, I feel you should try and audition them with Rick yourself. They are very large enclosures and will absolutely dominate any room you put them in.....oh, and make sure you have a trolley when you want to move them around!!
You should also note that the picture you posted shows the Jupiters using all Audax drivers. I think you'll find that Equinox had difficulty sourcing Audax drivers [as we all did!] and has gone with a different driver manufacturer altogether. Also, I think you'll find that the bass and mid drivers used in the Jupiter currently are metal cones and certainly not the Audax Aerogel 210ZO's shown in your pic.

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!