Considerations for building a TWW 2-Way System - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2006, 03:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Considerations for building a TWW 2-Way System

Hi there,

I've been looking all over for information/documentation on building a 2-Way speaker with 2 woofers. (TWW Configuration)

How will the xover network be affected (other than the load of course), what will become of the Re and all other drive parameters when hooked in series/parrallel... What about the dB/W...

I've found a lot of designs incorporating 2 woofers in either a D'appolito config or TWW but haven't found any pertinent documentation on the subject.

Anyone know of a site/resource where i might find such information ?

Thanks a lot
Old 1st December 2006, 04:02 PM   #2
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

try looking for information on 2.5 way speakers.

/sreten.
Old 5th December 2006, 12:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Here is one:

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...e/ubt/ubt.html

Here is another:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Waveguidetmm.html
Old 5th December 2006, 01:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You could use a design similar to mine (2 1/2 way) and use only one enclosure instead of two. (one sealed for mid, and one ported for woofer) It'd be cheaper as well since you wouldn' t need the crossover on the bottom woofer.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=23211
Old 5th December 2006, 02:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by s7horton
You could use a design similar to mine (2 1/2 way) and use only one enclosure instead of two. (one sealed for mid, and one ported for woofer) It'd be cheaper as well since you wouldn' t need the crossover on the bottom woofer.

Hi, what your saying doesn't make any sense, /sreten.
Old 7th December 2006, 01:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you viewed the thread, you would notice there is an upper enclosure for the midbass and tweeter and a separate chamber, ported, for the woofer. WIth a two-way, I would put everything in the same chamber, ported.

My crossover is made of three components. One for the tweeter, one for the mid and one for the .5 woofer. If you made a two way, you wouldn't need the .5 portion of the crossover.

Make sense?
Old 7th December 2006, 02:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by s7horton
If you viewed the thread, you would notice there is an upper enclosure for the midbass and tweeter and a separate chamber, ported, for the woofer. WIth a two-way, I would put everything in the same chamber, ported.

My crossover is made of three components. One for the tweeter, one for the mid and one for the .5 woofer. If you made a two way, you wouldn't need the .5 portion of the crossover.

Make sense?
Hi,

More sense. You don't need separate chambers for a 2.5 way. Its
a design choice. You can also have separate chambers for a 2-way.

/sreten.
Old 7th December 2006, 05:51 PM   #8
Raoul is offline Raoul  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi s7horton,

Zaph actually did some tests that imply seperate enclosures for a 2.5 way may not be necessary:

http://zaphaudio.com/commonenclosuretest.html

Not saying that building two enclosures is a bad thing, but The results are pretty interesting.
Old 8th December 2006, 01:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I don't disagree. It's not required. But I like the sound I get with a larger, ported chamber for the bottom end. It's tuned for that driver.
Old 8th December 2006, 05:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to TurboFC3S Send a message via AIM to TurboFC3S
My recent build is a 2.5 way with GR M-165x drivers ... one cab I did both woofers in a 1.65 cu/ft vented - the other was one driver in a .6 sealed, the other in a 1 cu/ft vented.

The 1.6 cu/ft vented version produced significantly more bass. I did quick measurements with my ECM8000 and Speaker Workshop ... but bass measurements are somewhat inconclusive. I trusted my ears more than the measurement, and they told me the version with both drivers in a shared larger enclosure was the way to go.

That's just one example though, based on my space and cabinet size limitations.

Hide this!Advertise here!