Altec Lansing - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2006, 09:56 PM   #51
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Cal, what you say makes sense. However the diagram looks as though a 8" wide throat is on a 13.25 hole. Allowing for the thickness of the flare, leaves a gap 1.85" wide behind the flare. The baffle is only 18 inches wide. Now that's baffling.

I have attached the drawing, it's probably well known to you.

Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a7s.jpg (51.8 KB, 2046 views)
Old 4th December 2006, 10:53 PM   #52
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff H
The only complaint I have with them is the foam surround. Cloth may have been a better choice.

My father looked amazed when I played a St Saen's? Organ Concerto off the vinyl.

I know the 515 weighs twice the 416, otherwise the specs look the same. Is the only difference in the magnet?

Fred, The 604 had a little brother. IIRC using the 414 and 3000 combo, I just can't recall the mod no.

Greets!

I believe GP will re-cone the 411 with an accordian surround, but Xmax will be reduced, ergo ditto low distortion SPL down low, especially in a sealed alignment. Regardless, foam surrounds today are chemically treated to last much longer than the early ones.

St. Saens on vinyl goes low for vinyl, though unless the TT is extremely well isolated from the room you still won't experience what relatively low fundamentals it has, so you'll need the CD combined with mass quantities of acoustic efficiency and power to experience the low B note in all its glory, not to mention hugging the CD player in your lap or similar to keep it from mis-tracking too. The first time I ~properly experienced it, the owner had his TT and CD player ensconced in a lead lined cab disguised as a coffee table.

The 515 also has a more massive diaphragm/VC assembly to better handle the additional throat pressure/lower tuning of their 'A' series theater bass horns and why the more powerful motor is required.

Right, the 601 duplex series.

GM
Old 4th December 2006, 11:03 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Greets!

All the cab designs in this version of the speaker enclosures manual are basic almost to the point of being worthless to the neophyte that it was at one time geared to. Here's a better drawing of the early 825 cab and a later version of the 828 cab you referenced that has a full width baffle: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ure/page09.jpg
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/plans/1970's-lf-plans/enclosures11.jpg

GM
Old 4th December 2006, 11:15 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
I think we can all relate.
Greets!

No doubt, but except for 'bench racing' audio on-line, mine had been going on ~unabated for >17 yrs now, making me one very frustrated dude. As it is, most of the drivers with foam surrounds have rotted......

GM
Old 4th December 2006, 11:32 PM   #55
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Geoff,

My throat opening is only 7.5" and the baffle is about 18" +/- The baffle does not cover over the inside of the flare and there is a gap between the edge of the baffle and the side of the cabinet. I have heavily stuffed the inside of the flare. If I remember I'll snap a pic next time in the shop (not at my house)
Old 4th December 2006, 11:44 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Altec 1803B

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

In the case of compression loaded horns though, it comes at the expense of HF extension/dispersion, which for some folks is unacceptable in a HIFI app even if their size isn't a major issue.
The benefits of big midrange horns are more than worth the hassle of interfacing a tweeter above 8kHz.
Old 4th December 2006, 11:51 PM   #57
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yes, the better drawing says it all. The gap I was seeing is covered by the cleat.

When I built my 411 boxes, I used 2x3 hardwood frames (big cleats!) as I was not real good with timber, and that gave me tons of glue area so they weren't gonna leak. Screws about 8" apart, so they weren't gonna rattle. 2x3 brace just below the driver, tied to one on the back. Another between the sides. I allowed a cub foot for the bracing/frame. My mates thought I was nut's. If I was it was due to other reasons.

Those drivers cost me a lot of dough (trade price - $380 Aust, 1976) I knew what they could do. I was not compromising.

BTW a pair of Barcelonas retailed at $3300 then, thanks to freight and import duty.

Not sure what to do with the 411s. I don't have the room they deserve, so no hurry.

Bass off vinyl. No problem. I had a Thorens TD124 (11lb platter) with an Infinity Black Widow and Ortofon. Finely tuned, and often in a separate room. That combo would laugh at the Shure Audio Obsticle Course.

Good old days.

Geoff
Old 4th December 2006, 11:55 PM   #58
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff H
Y........................

Not sure what to do with the 411s. I don't have the room they deserve, so no hurry..............................
Geoff

I have room for them........
I'll do you a favor ,but you pay the freights
Old 5th December 2006, 04:44 AM   #59
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Turntable in another room?

You're hard core, Geoff!
Old 5th December 2006, 04:48 AM   #60
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

OK, while we're on the subject of Altec 825 and 828 cabinets - what makes them sound so good?

It's a big bass reflex cabinet - about 14 cubic feet - with a large shallow port.
That part I undestand - though comments are welcome.

But what about that flare in front of the driver? What does that add?

Hide this!Advertise here!