Altec Lansing - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2010, 04:25 PM   #531
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Come closer so I can hit you.
Old 31st December 2010, 06:28 PM   #532
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
When you flip the cabinet over you can also flip the back panel over so your attenuator is at the top? The holes should line up.
??? The back plate proper is glued in on every factory 825 I can recall.

GM
Old 31st December 2010, 06:30 PM   #533
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I think call means the crossover itself. They should flip just fine. 4 screws.

I'm not for the sealing up of the flares, but that just my experience. Looks like you've got hella bracing in there, should help a lot.
Never seen a definitive volume for that cab. As best I can tell from the plans and from my mesurements, the version with the open flares is about 325 liters, or 11.5 cu. ft.
Old 31st December 2010, 06:40 PM   #534
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandville45 View Post
So When I block off the flares, u say its close to 1.25 cf i loose correct? what then is the total cf of the cabinet after that? Forgive my ignorance for abbreviations of cubic feet . I made a front baffle board that will go right up to the sides of the horn and leaves a gap at the bottom of horn which is 18.5x 1.5 size hole , what would that tune this cab too roughly?
AFAIK, Altec lists the 825 as 12.65 ft^3 net and using 11.4 ft^3 net in sims yields good correlation of calc'd vent tuning to measured.

AFAIK, I abbr. it correctly.

The vent area/placement you're describing doesn't sound like what I suggested and not the best overall place to put it as I understand it, so don't know other than in a simple reflex with a 5/8" vent length it calc's to ~33.8 Hz.

GM
Old 31st December 2010, 07:17 PM   #535
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
AFAIK, Altec lists the 825 as 12.65 ft^3 net and using 11.4 ft^3 net in sims yields good correlation of calc'd vent tuning to measured.

AFAIK, I abbr. it correctly.

The vent area/placement you're describing doesn't sound like what I suggested and not the best overall place to put it as I understand it, so don't know other than in a simple reflex with a 5/8" vent length it calc's to ~33.8 Hz.

GM
GM , Thanks, yea This is just a trial thing to try for the vent thing not even sure it will work or sound right . That's why i don't want to glue any blocks to the sides or anything to mount it, My thought was the original port came up and went around the horn mounted in there so i thought if i close it off enough to tune it lower it may work or it may not ,lol.I do like that it will be close to 33 hZ with this hole tho, nothing set in stone yet.Pan I closed up the flares with some 3/4 plywood and screwed it to the top plate it sits in the groove in the bottom easy enough to remove if doesn't sound right. Yea I may have went overboard with the bracing?
I will fire it up tomorrow after the glue sets well for 24 hrs, and see what happens without the port closed off then i will try and close it off with my board and see how it sounds. Some more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside back cab.jpg (121.7 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg inside back cab-1.jpg (95.9 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg inside back cab-2.jpg (141.5 KB, 224 views)
Old 31st December 2010, 07:52 PM   #536
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
...... using 11.4 ft^3 net in sims yields good correlation of calc'd vent tuning to measured.
Agreed, that seems to work best for me.
Old 31st December 2010, 07:58 PM   #537
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
??? The back plate proper is glued in on every factory 825 I can recall.
Hi Greg, I think I see screws on the back of his no? Mine are held in place with stainless 1/4" flat head machine bolts (I think) with T-nuts and felt tape, same with the 210 cabinets. The backs are reversible so I had assumed the same with his (uh-oh, never assume Cal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
I think call means the crossover itself. They should flip just fine. 4 screws.
See above.
Old 31st December 2010, 09:09 PM   #538
diyAudio Member

Yea Mine are not screwed in back there its all glued together as one on the upper half, then the lower section opens up to get at woofer etc., well just the little i have played it right now at low volume it already sounds deeper etc, that's without the front vent board in place,will put that in place tomorrow and see what she sounds like with some volume with and without the board!
Old 1st January 2011, 05:24 PM   #539
diyAudio Member

HAPPY NEW YEAR!.. Well finished up the Vent board, And I have to say it is a success!!.. Had to turn down most of the lower part of the EQ,Wasn't needed anymore and it sounds great! nice and deep and blows a nice breeze out the port too! The rattles are gone from what I can tell also! Here's some pics of what i did on the vent and the EQ you can see the left channel how I had it before compared to the right now it is considerably lower! for some reason it won't allow me to load pics right now sorry. will try again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg port.jpg (538.2 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg port-1.jpg (841.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg EQ-2.jpg (734.1 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by grandville45; 1st January 2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 1st January 2011, 05:49 PM   #540
diyAudio Moderator

Very good! You are well on your way.

Hide this!Advertise here!