Altec Lansing - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2006, 07:59 PM   #11
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

When it's working, the Altec User's Forum is the place to be for all things Altec-Lansing (the original): http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...=forum&f=3729, but it's been down for days now and the owner hasn't responded to my email, so.............

Anyway, the early 'new' VOT components were manufactured by Great Plains Audio by ex-Altec personnel/OEM tooling, so should sound the same as any later ceramic motored speakers. It's my understanding that they're made in Chi-Town now, so don't have a clue about these. Frankly, I doubt they've sold any since you can buy used and have them refurbed for less $$.

A5, A7, 1208, etc., series all used the same basic 825 (plywood) or 828 (MDF) cab depending on the year manufactured, though recently I found out there were some mixed plywood/MDF cabs built during the transition, so the differences were all in the component compliment, with a A5 having the 515 series woofer/large format horn, A7 = 416 series woofer/small format horn, and 1208, etc., series = 421 M.I. series woofer/small format horn. Then there's the same bass cab combos except with the later Mantaray series large/small format horns.

All that's left of my system are a pair of dual 515B 'sub' ~20 ft^3 cabs with mildly tweaked 511A/802D horns perched on top:

GM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gm altec 'subs'1.jpg (7.9 KB, 6033 views)
Old 1st December 2006, 08:03 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I found a pair of Heathkit AS-101s (a copy of the model 846A Altec Valencia) for $30 at a thrift store. Blown tweeters, but a trip to Great Plains Audio solved that problem. I feel about them the way Panomaniac feels about his Altecs. Such reality and magic about them, regardless of their shortcomings.

I have plans to build new cabinets for them - something along the lines of 46" tall, 21" wide and perhaps 22" deep. Ported, tuned to ... er, can't remember offhand, but somewhere around 35hz. They should be magnificent when completed.

The 15" woofers are 416-8As and the tweeters are 806s paired with 811 horns.
Old 1st December 2006, 08:18 PM   #13
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

not exactly Altec material,but more addendum to Westrex history....
here are few pictures of ancient compression drivers ,mounted originally on 811b horns ; scan of picture (from old cinema handbook) of huge Iskra two way cinema box can be seen clickin' on my www button and lookin' for cinema monoblocks page.......

pictures will tell you everything;interesting is that I didn't found anything on web related to this drivers......

I still have pair of 811B....mebbe one day I'll make pic or two for our pleasure

unfortunately,several years ago I didn't succeed in ,say,scavenging pair of 515s......guy responsible for trade never return even truckload of goodies given from my side,as my part of trade ;(

never mind......I have more than few opportunities to hear A7 ,even if just in PA environment; but- reading all Altec related info I can get during the years lead finally to my today's music recreating approach;

illustration of that can be seen on last pic after this post

sorry for off topic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t52a.jpg (75.5 KB, 5684 views)
Old 1st December 2006, 08:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

"mighty' alnico
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t52a-i.jpg (38.4 KB, 5567 views)
Old 1st December 2006, 08:24 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

more off topic-regarding Alnico - even small two way box on top of big one -both units are alnicos
ancient ITT boxes,when Scaaning was OEM contractor for them .......
nice find

this one is last off topic pic from me .........hehe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (50.8 KB, 6021 views)
Old 1st December 2006, 08:40 PM   #16
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Gents. As Zen Mod said, this will be a great thread. Actually, it will become whatever you collectively want.

My interest in sound repro started when I was 9 years old. My father traded his Pye Black Box for a pair of Wharfedales, a Pioneer SMB131?
a Labcraft t/t and a Revox G36 in 1964. Ausie readers will realise he had probably been to Encel Electronics.

I started bringing home old console style radio-grams, and getting them to work. Most of these had a 8 to 12 inch ElectroDynamic Speakers on an open back enclosure. For younger readers, these speakers had no permanent magnet. The magnetic field was created from a huge winding which doubled as the HT choke. Better units had a hum bucking coil, fed from the heater supply, to cancel 100 cycle ripple in the field. And they sounded pretty good, and some sounded better than others.

Most of these radios were of similar design, using 6V6 se amps, so the question was why. Been looking for answers since.

A friend of mine started a speaker building business, and then bought a shop to sell his goods asked me down to hear some new stock he had along side his own models. I think it was the Altec Model 19 he demoed first. Well I thought it was nice, but didn't grab me. I had built several 3 way systems based on several European drivers, but soon got bored with them. But the bigger models should be in next week. I had already wandered the Hi-Fi streets in search of something better, and was beginning to feel it was a hyped up industry set up to extract as much money from you in the search.

In the meantime, I had another listen to the Tannoy Monitors, as they seemed to be my preference. Back at my friends shop, I listened to a pair Santanas. Now we were getting somewhere. Was it just coincidental that Carlos is still one of my favorite musos, or was some one playing games. Danny from Rank Industries arrived,
and had a bit of a chat. Next, a pair of Barcelonas were brought to life, and I could buy the drivers separately.

A week later, I was the proud owner of a pair of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg altec_411-8a-frame.jpg (73.5 KB, 5699 views)
Old 1st December 2006, 08:40 PM   #17
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

A good many of you will have seen these before. This is my outdoor set-up. I am currently upgrading the A7 boxes to a 3 way with the existing 511 horn for the mid and an 811 on top for the highs. I will post the pics when done. Hopefully the drivers will arrive next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_7652.jpg (71.9 KB, 4974 views)
Old 1st December 2006, 08:59 PM   #18
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Zen Mod, wasn't Westrex Western Electrics? And Western Electrics a division of the Altec Corporation or LTV?

I don't think your off topic. Talk about University and JBL if you wish, they're all related. Just because Ling and JB drew a line in the sand doesn't mean we have to.

Edit:

Hi Cal, I like your interpretation of a HT 5.1. Is the other truck tied up in a traffic jam?

Geoff
Old 1st December 2006, 09:11 PM   #19
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hey GM.
The whole Hostboard.com site seems to be down, so that includes the Altec board. I've gotten a number of emails asking about it. Seems no one can get thru.
Old 1st December 2006, 09:28 PM   #20
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Geoff,
Yes Western Electric gave birth to Altec "All Technical Products." It was called Westrex in the U.K.

I've had my eye on the Altec 411. The "Solid State" driver. Less efficient than the other drivers, but maybe more low end in a reasonable size box.

I think Cal has bragging right as "Speaker King"

And Ken (KEC) has the best bragging rights of all. He actually worked at Altec and built drivers! Hooray! You rule, Ken!

Hey Cal. So you want to do 511 mids and 811 highs? That's an odd idea. Might sound pretty cool! Let us know how it works out.

As for the sound of the Altec 1505 multicells - they are amazing. All the good qualities you find in the smaller horns, with none of the bad. And they sound - well... BIG. Guess they go a long way to imparting that "this is real" sound. They just don't sound like a speaker at all. They sound like music.

GM. Those 20 foot double 515 cabs ought to be fantastic. I used to listen to a similar setup. The Onken W cabinet with dual 515s. Very impressive. Big super clean bass.

Hide this!Advertise here!