Altec Lansing - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2006, 10:39 PM   #151
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

I hope Zen is not suggesting we have a biased mod lurking about.
Just because Cal encouraged me to start this thread doesn't mean he's biased, or does it. Care factor, not very high.

Good news from GPA. These days we tend to be scared of quotes. Grasshopper should have had the diaphragms in the x-mas list.

And a big Merry Christmas and new year to all.

Geoff.
Old 24th December 2006, 06:53 PM   #152
dlh1948 is offline dlh1948  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ALTEC LANSING 416 8B

HI,

Brand new to this so forgive any inappropriateness.

I have just purchased a pr. of 416 8Bs for use in a system consisting of a trio of ALE drivers.

My challenge is to build an enclosure for the 416s.

NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET.

I have reviewed a ton of internet stuff and THINK I will use the Jensen Onken enclosure. Anything better?

Thanks
Old 24th December 2006, 07:00 PM   #153
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Biased? Darn right I am! Just like everything else in life I have my favourites. I've been ogling the A7 since I was a boy but it took till I was 40 before I even owned the cabinet.

Incidentally, the notch filter and L-pad are coming along nicely. I'm getting closer.

When GM shows up he will have many ideas for you, including his biased favourites
Old 24th December 2006, 07:53 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

Hi dlh1948. Welcome to the Forum, and this thread.

Onken and Altec. Seen that some where. Did you try Google? I did, brought up this thread! Back in post 41, Fred had a similar question re the 414s in Onken cabs.

Traditionally the 416 went into a bass reflex cab, many with the horn in front.

Tune the Onken to about 25 cycles and you should be there.

This one is for the 414 12" 30Hz.
http://ndaviden.club.fr/plancaisse/onken-414.html

You could scale that up to suit the 416s. The Onken can be made tuneable, which simplifies things a bit.

Cheers,

Geoff

Edit. Just saw Cals post. DLH, I should warn you, Cal and GM are big horn guys. Don't let them frighten you though.
Old 24th December 2006, 09:20 PM   #155
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ALTEC LANSING 416 8B

Greets!

Indeed we do! Regardless, 15/16" Altecs need big cabs to go low, so 9-10 ft^3 is the ideal minimum for decent LF response, with up to 20 ft^3 required for some versions when driven by a high output impedance amp.

Why scale up the Petite Onken when you can get the 'real deal' right above it? http://ndaviden.club.fr/plancaisse/onken360.html and if you want all the construction, etc., info it's available in French, but you don't really need to translate much, so an on-line translation will do: http://ebenisterie.musique.free.fr/R...ophile1977.pdf
http://ebenisterie.musique.free.fr/R...ophile1982.pdf

Anyway, hope everybody has a nice safe holiday! And on that note :
http://www.thecompassgroup.biz/merryxmas.swf

GM
Old 24th December 2006, 10:24 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

I'll have to expand my French. Limited to a few towns, rivers, a tower, and wine varieties. Wine being the strong point.

Nice freq response from the 416.

Geoff.
Old 24th December 2006, 11:45 PM   #157
dlh1948 is offline dlh1948  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ALTEC LANSING 416 8B

Gentlemen

Thank you so much for the quick response.

The French sights are a bit overwhelming.

Could you please comment on www.studiomaudio.info/onken.html

as an alternative at least as good?

Also, I'm not locked into the 416 8Bs, so if you think something would

work better feel free to comment.

Thanks
Old 25th December 2006, 03:41 PM   #158
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I did, brought up this thread! Back in post 41, Fred had a similar question re the 414s in Onken cabs.
Hi Geoff,

Yep, and GM was kind enough to send me a Mathcad response graph of it w/ some series resistance (or high output Z amps), plus invalueble advice WRT driver mounting/bracing, a 'sun worshipping ritual' to appease old Altec cones and surrounds...

Happy Holidays,
fred

ps - a 'speaker wiz' gets mentioned in this Altec Project in an online audio review zine. hint: it's in a quote:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/altec/dream.html
Old 25th December 2006, 03:51 PM   #159
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hi GM,

I recently mused about what the trade-offs would be, MLTL's vs. Onken with Altec 414... What are your thoughts on this?

It got me curious coz I heard this enclosure design http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/yves/index.html
used with JBL 2213 (found in L100 monitors) in a buddy's system, and LF response is really good IMO even if the JBL's parameters isn't really that close to the Audax. The design was intended as a 'sub', so I think he used more stuffing as the JBL's still had good tonality up to the mids. Incidentally, the Audax T/S that were used in the TL's is quite close to the 414's. But with recent better predictive software like MJK's sheets, I think this 'traditional TL' could be improved upon...

Merry Christmas!
fred
Old 25th December 2006, 09:14 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

Hi dlh

"Could you please comment on www.studiomaudio.info/onken.html
as an alternative at least as good?"

Similar size cabinet, volume wise. Be warned though, it appears to be generalized for a 15" driver. You need to apply the spreadsheet that GM suggested. Use metric units.

"Also, I'm not locked into the 416 8Bs, so if you think something would work better feel free to comment."

I don't know about better, that's subjective and personal. The 515 would be an alternative. The 411 is probably not suited. My choice would be the 604 in the corner cabinet.

Either way, avoid the low and wide cabinet. The driver needs to be up off the floor to avoid mid freq loss and or reflection.

Regards, Geoff.

Hide this!Advertise here!