Altec Lansing - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2006, 02:10 AM   #131
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: that's fun ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Grasshopper

If these schematics were for a 416/808 A-7, I'd be very tempted to give them a go.
Greets!

If your 808s still have their original Symbiotic M.I. diaphragms and these are for HIFI, the first place to spend your money is by getting new ultralights from GPA, which are much smoother, with greater HF extension.

Which stock XOs do you have?

GM
Old 20th December 2006, 02:58 AM   #132
diyAudio Member

No stock XOs, originals were stolen and replaced by after-market ones which sounded like crap. The ones I cobbled together last weekend are so much better that I find myself staying up late into the night just enjoying the music.
Will look into GPA's ultralites.
G
Old 20th December 2006, 08:18 AM   #133
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Right, each cell + common throat + driver approximates a dustcap shod HE 'FR' driver of equivalent Sd
Makes sense, but it sure didn't sound that way. Smooth as silk, very "real" sounding.

Quote:
The 1505 is bad too, particularly in stereo due to its wide coverage angle creating excessive early reflections off side walls in all but the largest typical HIFI listening rooms.
That may be why they worked so well for me. Never heard them in a small room. Medium to large room, to jazz club, to ballroom, to outdoor. Listening distance was often close, tho. ~3 meters. Very palatible 3D image. No close your eyes and imagine stuff.

Quote:
IIRC, the pics I've seen of the system you auditioned used JBL 'baby-cheek' tweeters. Did they have them in your time?
Correcto! But when I used them it was bullet tweeters, JBL 2402, IIRC. Don't remember what the crossover was like, execpt passive and massive. 2nd order, I think. Many times I simply didn't hook up the tweeters. Sounded fine to me. I could always "hear" the tweeters, they sounded good, but not real. Maybe I should have just turned them down.
Old 20th December 2006, 09:39 AM   #134
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: that's fun ...

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
The first place to spend your money is by getting new ultralights from GPA, which are much smoother, with greater HF extension.
Can you post a link to the GPA ultralights?

Thanks,
---Gary
Old 20th December 2006, 10:55 AM   #135
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

Gary, try here:

http://greatplainsaudio.50megs.com/

Edit: They moved.
/www.greatplainsaudio.com/
Old 20th December 2006, 02:43 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Default Breaking news WRT Altec forum...........

Hostboard, BlackWidow4x4, Thrasher4x4, pwrhouse domains's are back online
Bad News:
The Hostboard datacenter was recently broken in to and although nothing was stolen, the site was litterly smashed in to pieces.

Good News:
All hard drives are in tact so the last few days I have been scouring for resources to be able to mount the hard drives to off load the data and get things back to normal. In the mean time I needed to also secure a new hosting solution.

At the present time the ETA for Hostboard to come back online at 100% will be Thursday (12/21/06) evening as long as all the hardware arrives on time.

My sincere appologies to everyone for this latest outage as this past month things have not been as stable as normal.

Steven
Owner, Hostboard.com
Old 21st December 2006, 01:16 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

Just sent an e-mail to Bill at GPA for a quote on the price of new diaphrams. Anyone have a rough guess on the cost?
Reading a thread on another forum about x-overs, someone suggested anyone using Solen caps must be hard of hearing. Well, my hearing is just fine and my wallet is still fat. I would love to try some of the high end caps but the prices are just insane for some! Here a link to a cap shootout, some of you may have seen it.

http://www.vhaudio.com/21capacitorshootout.pdf

Cap values needed are 16mfd and 33mfd, based on some of the prices in the shootout, could buy a car for what it would cost for the caps I would like to replace!
Cheers
Old 21st December 2006, 01:24 AM   #138
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just sent an e-mail to Bill at GPA for a quote on the price of new diaphrams. Anyone have a rough guess on the cost?
Reading a thread on another forum about x-overs, someone suggested anyone using Solen caps must be hard of hearing. Well, my hearing is just fine and my wallet is still fat. I would love to try some of the high end caps but the prices are just insane for some! Here a link to a cap shootout, some of you may have seen it.

http://www.vhaudio.com/21capacitorshootout.pdf

Cap values needed are 16mfd and 33mfd, based on some of the prices in the shootout, could buy a car for what it would cost for the caps I would like to replace!
Cheers
nah......just find some nice ole oilers and enjoy.......that will give ya ,with new dias, right mix of lightning speed and mellowness
Old 21st December 2006, 02:04 AM   #139
Geoff H is offline Geoff H  Australia
diyAudio Member

I just checked a few other things on that site. His power cords sound better than others. He must have an old cash register. Ring ring. I'll leave the order for the power cables until after I get the power people here to change from 50Hz to 49Hz. The the Gs won't beat with the mains then.

Jeez, I forgot to save the PDF, or bookmark the site.

Geoff.
Old 21st December 2006, 02:12 AM   #140
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Cheers
Greets!

Well, I paid $62.40/dist. net for my pair in 2/76 and according to an on-line inflation calculator they would be ~$175 today, so I figure they should be somewhat more since they're ~hand made to order.

Motor run caps were good enough for W.E., RCA, et al, so they're good enough for me and cheaper than a trip to Mickey D's: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?SISECT=0002007211

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!