Cheap speaker grilles - computer fan covers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Spasticteapot said:
Computer fan covers seem like they'd make nice covers for speakers you don't want getting crunched, and would work very nicely for covering ports to prevent people from dropping things in.

http://store.thermalfx.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CFG120

On the other hand, they might affect sound dispersion negatively - I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

I have been looking for a stylish grills, for me the computer fan grills have too many "rings" but may try it any way.

gychang

Do you really want your speakers, loveingly created by your own hands, to look as ugly as the back of my PC ?

Surely not, there must be a better way. I'd like to know what happened to the good old fashioned cloth speaker grill concept. Surely it does not wreck the sound as much as people say. Just needs mechanically adapting to modern ideas about low diffraction front baffles with rounded corners rather than the "picture frame" style of old.

heater said:
Do you really want your speakers, loveingly created by your own hands, to look as ugly as the back of my PC ?

Surely not, there must be a better way. I'd like to know what happened to the good old fashioned cloth speaker grill concept. Surely it does not wreck the sound as much as people say. Just needs mechanically adapting to modern ideas about low diffraction front baffles with rounded corners rather than the "picture frame" style of old.

for me a sparse metal ring would work (not a complete protection I agree) but have not found the right one...

gychang

heater said:

The object here is cheap, easy, and durable. These would be for portable speakers that you don't want damaged.

Also, I can make far more attractive grilles than that - I'm a metalworking student. Concentric copper rings could be very attractive if done properly.

How about this fan grill?

Attachments

• fan-cfg-fw.jpg
    fan-cfg-fw.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 98
Not my taste either, but I thought about showing options that are much more creative than the plain concentric rings.
I only look at the utilitarian aspect of personal computers, but many people out there spend large sums of money enhancing the visual of the case, inside and out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.