Griffin's Jordan JK92S/AC G2si/G2i Mini Monitor "array" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2006, 02:37 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Griffin's Jordan JK92S/AC G2si/G2i Mini Monitor "array"

Hi,
I was about to get started on Jim Griffins Jordan / ribbon monitors. I am not thrilled about the efficiency of the speakers +-84db and was wondering if anyone had added another jordan to create a two drive + single tweeter array?
I was thinking about giving this ago and was wondering what the net improvment in efficiency might be and whether i should simply double the enclosure volume to accomodate the additional driver?
There is obviously great deal more thought that would need to go into this hybrid but this first post is simply to start the conversation.

Thanks for your thoughts
Old 30th November 2006, 03:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Jim was very kind to answer me via email. His general feelings on this concept (and quite honestly mine now to) was that:
a. the cost of adding another jordan driver to create a higher efficiency speaker would push the cost for these monitors into the statosphere
b. The network would require reworking
Regarding point B, given the general success of Jim's monitor and network i would be nervous to pursue mucking around with the network
Old 30th November 2006, 03:46 AM   #3
Will is offline Will  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I've a pair of these speakers, and although I share your initial concerns about the 84dB before building it, it's easily forgotten after that. The speakers are easily driven as I think its impedance plot is high enough to allow many types of amplifier to drive it except for really flea powered amps like 2A3 or a Darling amp or a Charlize. Amp3 from 41Hz is much better in terms of bass power wherelse the Charlize just struggles. I don't know why.

will.

Hide this!Advertise here!