Easiest software to measure the Frequency Response

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying the Speaker Workshop, but I'm having problems.

The microphone response must be set through a dataset archive. But I don't know how to create it ! :cannotbe:

I'd like to try the Speaker Workshop, because it's free and seems to be a great software, and also can be very accurate.

The RTA is an interesting software, but the free version is not much useful :xeye:

I'm also having problems with setting up "Speaker Workshop", but I assume that these are due to my old amplified sound card.

Also, the proposed jigs, give more confusion than help. The software request me to use one to measure passive components. If I do not do in this way, always indicate to me that "probably I have an open circuit". When I use the jig, in the x1/10 option, I do not know what I am measuring. Anyway I am still trying to understand it.

SW forum also looks a death forum.

Regars

Hi all,
Fernando in my HP you can download the GENERIC calibration files of the most used mics.
Anyway, I don't think SW doesn't work without a calibration file, simply doesn't compensate for it.

Hugo, SW forum is not dead at all! Of course after so many years of life it's quite for sure that the most was already asked and probably answered. The SW forum is full of info, so doing a search you get your answer and there's no need to open a new thread. Besides, SW is the same since 2002, so no new problems arises in these years.

A new life to SW should come in the future, since Mark Zackmann published the code.

This ARTA is VERY GOOD, although I don't see an option to correct the mic response. But is so easy, just run two seconds of pink noise and your response graph is on the screen ! :D

I compared my speakers with ARTA, and I really detected the horrible peak in 3khz, then I ran some sinewave with TrueRTA (free), and the audible diference between 2000Hz and 3000hz is frightning. Now I'll work in a eletronic notch filter and equalization to compensate the &$$#&* that the sound is now :D

Claudio, thank you very much, now I'll try SW !

Best Regards,

Fernando

The software available look interesting.

Now, if we could just find an available, affordable, and reasonably good microphone :confused:

I have searched the forum, but the answers seem to indicate several 100 $$$ s worth of Behringer, almost as much as a good ready-made loudspeaker (god forbid!).

Svein B

Panasonic makes some good (20-20khz?) electret microphone capsules (cost is about 2$), the same that are used in the Behringer. Just add phantom power, a thin stick to hold the thing and some wire and you're done. I think digikey carries them. typenumbers differ for European and American market.

Simon

-_nando-_ said:
I'm trying the Speaker Workshop, but I'm having problems.

The microphone response must be set through a dataset archive. But I don't know how to create it ! :cannotbe:

I'd like to try the Speaker Workshop, because it's free and seems to be a great software, and also can be very accurate.

The RTA is an interesting software, but the free version is not much useful :xeye:

I had a h3ll of a time with Speaker Workshop too. Here are three things that helped me a lot:

1. The Windows API mangles the measurements in Speaker Workshop unless you have the sample rate set correctly. Personally I've found that I only get good results at ONE sample rate (48khz). Everything else gives me garbage.
2. Doing acoustice measurements indoors is all but pointless. I run a super long mic cable to my backyard, where I put the speaker.
3. Don't measure too quiet, the noise floor will scuk. Don't measure too loud, the driver isn't linear at high volumes.

Have fun!

:: PB ::

I have a ton of measurements that I've done with SW over on the carsound forums. I post there as "majestik6."

I think we should order the Panasonic WM61A from Digikey, and build a pre amp with the most plain frequency response possible.

WM-61A datasheet:
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/pdf/em06_wm61_a_b_dne.pdf

The Digikey part number is P9925-ND. Price is the incredible 1.86usd per unit. :D

Then just download the dataset from Claudio Negro's webpage, and you're done:

http://www.claudionegro.com/download/WM61A.zip

Run Speaker Workshop with the tips from Patrick (use 48Khz), and Claudio Negro's website have lots of tips too:

http://www.claudionegro.com/ or click in his www.

Now we should search for a good pre-amp schematic, almost easy to build and with plain response.

That's it !! I think the thing is easier than we imagined before... ;)

Best Regards,

Fernando

Just to clarify about the mic calibration file: every mic has its own calibration file, that is every mic HAS A DIFFERENT CALIBRATION FILE.
The generic calibration file you can download in my home page, is GENERIC. Said this, it's clear that using a generic calibration file will not compensate exactly for the used mic.

For mic pre-amp, check Elliot's home page:
http://sound.westhost.com/projects-8a.htm

Store-bought mic and preamp + Camera Tripod

Hi all, I tried very hard to use speakerworkshop but came to the conclusion that I needed to set up a dedicated computer for measurement to avoid wrecking the audio setup. It has very good capabilities and thanks to helpful users it is well documented, but a bit challenging to set up.
I bought audiotester after trying the shareware and finding it very easy to get it working. Recommended.
I'm interested in Arta but haven't found time yet, fortunately winter weather arrived yesterday in the Great Lakes region and speakerbuilding season has begun.
Because of 3 kids and two jobs I have not enough time for everything audio-related, so I decided that to buy a mic and preamp in order to spend my limited hobby time on loudspeakers instead of building instrumentation (heh, haven't heard about diymicrophone regional meeting yet).
I purchased the inexpensive mic and preamp listed in links below,
and there may be similar products available from other manufacturers. fwiw, the mic is an ECM8000 clone, and it looks to have a panasonic mic element at the business-end.
Also, disclaimer, I work for the company which imports these devices (which just means that I got the employee discount).

APEX220 Measurement Microphone
http://apexelectronics.com/index.php?tmp=4&id=83

APA1 Mic Pre-amp w/ Phantom Power
http://apexelectronics.com/index.php?tmp=4&id=44

You will also need a mic cable of the kind with xlr ends (15ft) is useful length. And adapter from 1/4" phone plug to RCA jack to connect to sound card line in with a cable having 2x RCA to 1/8 stereo plug.

TIP - I tape the mic to the handle of a camera tripod so that I can adjust the height easily and point it at the loudspeaker. Most tripods have a crank for fine adjustment of height.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.