Contacting Audio Technology? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2006, 12:16 AM   #1
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Contacting Audio Technology?

Does anyone have an email address for Audio Technology? I am thinking about one of their flex drivers and wanted to talk over a few things but I can't see an email address. I don't really want to do it on the phone as I like to think about things like this pretty carefully before opening my big gob!

Also, I'd welcome any comments on the midrange performance from these drivers

Cheers,
Old 30th November 2006, 08:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

mail@audiotechnology.dk

http://www.audiotechnology.dk/iz.asp?id=4|a|130|||
Old 30th November 2006, 04:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, how did you get to that part of the website Am I just being dumb?

Oh I see, under profile... duh!
Old 30th November 2006, 09:27 PM   #4
Taco is offline Taco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

For midrange duties you are better of with the c-quenze series. You get a bit more extension. Also a good thing they are less expensive.

Per Skaaning is very nice guy to deal with, he always anwsers, but he is a very busy man. So be patient if he does not answer directly. The big companies have also discovered AT, so lead team is longer than a year ago.

I can recommend 15H520613SDK (Kapton voice coil), if you need a good midrange. For mixed applications (midbass) the stock version with alu former (15H520613SD) is a better choice. You get better bas control. If you do fancy low order x-overs you get more/ smoother extension with the non underhung motor (the 15H is default underhung).

Here a picture of a 15H:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th November 2006, 09:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Taco,

I'm also considering the 15 cm C-Quenze for midrange, but I have a hard time deciding which version would be best. Could you tell me how is influencing the sound the size of the magnet? Does a larger magnet necessarily mean a better sound?

Thanks!
Old 1st December 2006, 12:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Taco thanks for the pic.

I am looking at the Flex units because I need to customise some of the parameters.

Since you seem to know a thing or two, what is the advantage in altering the magnetic gap? I would think a smaller gap is always better because it concentrates a stronger field on to the coil, no?

And what about the coil height? Would I want to make this as short as I can without limiting xmax too much for the application? The idea being that a shorter coil has lower distortion.

And what do you think of the sound of the driver you have?

I would probably go for either an 8" or a 10" as I need it to work down to 250Hz and give pretty decent SPL. I only need it to extend to about 2KHz - 3KHz as I plan a 1KHz - 1.5KHz Xover.
Old 3rd December 2006, 10:06 AM   #7
Taco is offline Taco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oceanic30
Hi Taco,

I'm also considering the 15 cm C-Quenze for midrange, but I have a hard time deciding which version would be best. Could you tell me how is influencing the sound the size of the magnet? Does a larger magnet necessarily mean a better sound?

Thanks!
The 15H sounds more "direct", transients are "sharper" (wow it's hard to describe sound). The smaller magnets on a 150mm C-quenze sound more relaxed. The presentation more comparable with the stock 18H (overhung motor). It's a matter of taste, do you like a sharper transients or more "air"/ smoother touch.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenson
Hi Taco thanks for the pic.

I am looking at the Flex units because I need to customise some of the parameters.

Since you seem to know a thing or two, what is the advantage in altering the magnetic gap? I would think a smaller gap is always better because it concentrates a stronger field on to the coil, no?

And what about the coil height? Would I want to make this as short as I can without limiting xmax too much for the application? The idea being that a shorter coil has lower distortion.

And what do you think of the sound of the driver you have?

I would probably go for either an 8" or a 10" as I need it to work down to 250Hz and give pretty decent SPL. I only need it to extend to about 2KHz - 3KHz as I plan a 1KHz - 1.5KHz Xover.
Per Skaaning is far more knowledgable than I am. So contact him . For most applications Per can alter the motor on the C-quenze series. With short voice-coils you get more sensitivity (less moving mass). The distortion of every motor Per uses is very low, I do not think the difference is very large using different VC's.

I prefer the sound of Audiotechnology above many other drivers I have tried. (so I am biased) The sound is neutral, dynamic and free of compression.
Old 5th December 2006, 12:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The lowest distortion can be had from underhung voice-coils, which by themselves can be had from Audio-Technology.

Regards

Charles
Old 5th December 2006, 03:38 PM   #9
gcm908 is offline gcm908  United States
diyAudio Member

I was thinking of using a set of boxes I built a while ago for a sub sat system using a Audio technology 15cm midwoofer and a yet to be decided tweeter...

any and all advice/feedback would be much apreciated...

I have a 12" servo sub ready for duty.

I was leaning toward the seas 27tdfc just because I have a two here (and I love the sound).

The boxes I have are 10.8 liters.

I assume I should go sealed... but which midwoofer?

and just as important any crossover sugestions?

What is the scope of your AT mid projects?

Thanks, GCM

Hide this!Advertise here!