Progress report - digital crossover as a DAC - digital all the way to the amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was an early adopter of the Behringer DEQ 2496, started a thread about that here in the loudspeaker forum and have made several updates after that, so thought I would do another. I’m sure some of you guys are way ahead of me, but I’m figuring there a few folks out there that haven’t made the jump to PC based source. I don't have any vinyl.

Crossover now is a BSS digital unit and am also using it essentially as an outboard DAC.
No longer using CD player and preamp. Am now going from hard drive out thru a Lynx sound card – Lynx digital AES/EBU out to AES/EBU digital in on the BSS unit.

By so doing, removed not only the preamp from the chain, but a full loop of ADC/DAC conversion. I’m controlling volume at the signal input level settings of the crossover and with the winamp volume control.

Immediately, sounded better. With more listening, it was still better but seemed a little dry – Even with the “dryness” there was no turning back – really clear and distinct.

So I learned what ASIO was (thanks to Thuneau and some others _grin__ ) and have been fooling around with various options.

After trying Foobar, J River and Winamp – various ASIO plug-ins, etc. I was trying to track down a clicking/popping problem – which Lynx tech support suggested was usually a clocking issue – when I tried Winamp default settings which used “direct sound out” and I noticed – wow – I’ve never heard it sound that good before -

Made me wish I had done it sooner –

How would I describe the improvement in sound? More clarity, greater retrieval of low-level detail, darker (more quiet) yet more brilliant if the music was going there – better transients – better imaging, sound stage, etc. – truly better in every way.

The Lynx card has pretty good DACS and 6 analog outs – so I eventually plan to take the digital crossover out, and use only the Lynx card – the software available at the moment doesn’t seem to do everything I like, or is overwhelming or both – however, it’s on the way, it’s coming, will just be a while down the road.

Even so, for now I’m sounding by far the best I ever have.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.