Eq'ing midbass horns / your thoughts ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey All,

I currently use midbass horns which roll off at 24dB/oct. These blend with my labhorns well. I use 2 behringer dcx digital xo's.

My problem is with dvd's.. Right now my system is set up as large mains, with the 1st dcx doing my 3 way mains from 80Hz up, and my second dcx doing the labhorn eq / xo.

As it stands my mains have to be backed of 10dB in order for the digital xo's to be able to handle the subs 10dB higher output.(when LFE is redirected to mains) This means I'm losing 10dB resolution from my mains in the digital xo.

I think I can fix this by using my av processor to xo the mains to sub, but the generic slopes mess this up.

My question is this : can I use my dcx to eq the midbass horns flat to 40Hz, then add a 12dB butterworth high pass to them at 80Hz. This will add to my processors 12dB high pass to give me a 24dB LR slope, which will then match the 24dB slope on the sub.

I read once a post by Tom Danley who said eq would correct the phase of a speaker, but I'm not sure if that only applies above the horns lower cutoff.

If you got this far thanks for reading, any thoughts ?:D

Cheers,

Rob.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.