tannoy 615

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you need to know?

I have the manual for the whole sixes series MK1 and 2. I can E-mail it if necessary. They are basically the same as your 611's with identical drivers except that they are in a taller cabinet and have a passive bass radiator.

I'd love to test them side by side with some 611's.
Unfortunately I haven't heard these speakers myself. I have heard that they are quite hard to find. They are certainly uncommon on Ebay.

N.B. As with the 609 and 611 there will undoubtedly be a difference in the upper-mid and treble between the 615 MK1 and MK2.

Regards,
Martin.

hi martin i bought a pair and they are in mint condition thank you for your kind offer, i now have all the info on them, tons of searching the 615 are amazing a little more bass and much better mid range they sound nothing like the 611 in my room martin i love them they sound like a very exspencive speaker the 611s are very good and maybe you might find these speakers too much in the bass for your room. the cross over is better also big beefy inductors

whats gan on said:
hi martin i bought a pair and they are in mint condition thank you for your kind offer, i now have all the info on them, tons of searching the 615 are amazing a little more bass and much better mid range they sound nothing like the 611 in my room martin i love them they sound like a very exspencive speaker the 611s are very good and maybe you might find these speakers too much in the bass for your room. the cross over is better also big beefy inductors

Too much bass? I doubt it!! :bawling: I have NO bass. Well, I have some and it is very nice. It's just not enough. Anyway, you know how it is with the 611's. I am very jealous of you mate. I did consider buying some 615's myself but I thought ( before I got my 611's) that they may boom in my room. I hope you enjoy your new speakers as I cry here:bawling:

I'm very surprised that you have beefier inductors in the 615's. They have the same drivers (except the passive radiator) and supposedly the same crossover point. I often think that with more bass my speakers would sound more even. I guess that's what is happening with the 615's. I'd love to see a picture of the crossover if you ever get one.

If the midrange sounds better to you then I would guess that you have bought the MK1 version? I say this because the Mk1 611's sounded a bit forward and Tannoy tried to correct this with the MK11 version. The MK11 has a toned down midrange but loses it's magic I think.

Remember that if your 615's are MK1 then you could always swap the Dual concentrics with your 611 MK11 to see which you prefer. Do not remove the treble horn from the mid or you could damage them!! Maybe it's not worth the risk.

I'm still confused :xeye: I first heard the 611's in 92 and the bass was full and plentiful. This is why I didn't buy some 615's in the first place. Maybe with age the bass charecteristicas are changing? Perhaps the surrounds are hardening and raising the resonant frequency of the drivers?

Do the 615's completely satisfy you or is there still some bass missing somewhere?

I recommend replacing the cap on the tweeter. I used only £10 worth (including postage) of soniq caps and the difference was very noticable indeed. Everything just sounds smoother but with the same detail as before.

All the best,
Martin

hi martin please give me your email and i will send you a pic of the crossover.i have lost the email password i set up for this account so will contact you with another the 615 is warmer sweeter i do not think the mk2 was an improvement worth shouting about. i have just changed the diodes on the cyrus 2 pre section and it sounds smoother the more i listen to the 615;s the more i just will not part with them i love themthe bass is deeper honest you will enjoy there sound after a day as they sound totaly unique. the bass has a 17 watt resistor and a cap and the other drive unit an inductor, so i do not know which is the pasive bass unit i have tried to attach a pic but it says file too big thanks for the tweeter cap tweak

these are like mine i got the pic off the net as my pics are too big of a file need to send them through email

Attachments

• item_4006546.jpg
    item_4006546.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 723
So does that mean that you got the Mk1 version?
One inductor on the bass is similar to the 611 but the 17 Watt resistor on the mid/bass is different. Interesting. I'd like to see the pic if possible. It's against forum policy to post email addresses in public but if you drop me a line via my Email button then I'll send let you have it ;)

For the tweeter cap, Bear in mind that most decent polypropylene caps are physicaly much larger than the originals. I had to cut some plastic to stop the cap hitting the vertical bracing that runs top to bottom. ;)

I'm glad to hear that you have a cyrus 2 now. Higher power handling is definitely good for these beasts!! I have loads of questions about replacing the diodes? (I guess you mean transistors). It's usually better to stay on topic in this forum so could you add the details to the 'Cyrus 1 amp later version' thread you posted in earlier. Please please please!! I need to do that to mine but lack the confidence.
I'd also be interested to hear how your CD4-SE is doing now.

Cheers,
Martin.

hi martin there are four diodes next to the volume pot on the cyrus there are also opamps in the pre amp section which can be replaced but i will let you know the results once i changed them i will help you mate also i have replced the cd 4se with a modified cd 63 se which is much better only in modified verison mid range sound stage and treble is miles better

Attachments

• cyrus_fuse.jpg
    cyrus_fuse.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 570
whats gan on said:
hi martin there are four diodes next to the volume pot on the cyrus there are also opamps in the pre amp section which can be replaced but i will let you know the results once i changed them i will help you mate also i have replced the cd 4se with a modified cd 63 se which is much better only in modified verison mid range sound stage and treble is miles better

I know that we're supposed to stay on topic here but anyway (I tried),

I'm using my Cyrus 2 with a PSX so I'll replace the diodes there first. I'm not using the Phono section so changing the opamps for me is not necessary yet. What diodes did you use? Do you have a link to a supplier?

My CD4SE has been modified and I would love to test it against a modded CD63. It would be very interesting. For now I'll stick with the Cambridge since the warmth compliments the forward nature of my amp and speakers. I've tried other players lately but none has the X factor of the CD4. Let me know if you ever get around to modding your Cambridge. I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it against the marantz.

Back on topic, sorry:
Do you have the optional plinth for your 615's? There's a pair on Ebay at the moment. Given the height of the 615's it might be a good idea although it may change the bass characteristics.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TANNOY-QUALIT...3QQihZ005QQcategoryZ81741QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers,
Martin.

whats gan on said:
hi i am not sure all the opamps are for the phono someone told me two were for the pre section ..........

Hi again and thanks for the diode info. Did it make a big difference?

All of the opamps are for the phono section only. Some people refer to this as the 'pre' and this can be slightly misleading. Anatech (Chris) has reliably informed me that the phono section is prone to oscillation and instability whch can affect the main section. Obviously this is not good but is easily remedied. You really should read this thread since Anatech repaired (repairs) these amps under warranty from Cyrus so he knows his onions.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89479

The Cyrus One and Two have completely passive preamps. They are basically a low pass and high pass filter and a potentiometer.

Back on topic:
I wonder if you would get more bass if you removed the plinths? I made my plinths by taking the full sized stands from 609's or similar and removing the central metal shaft. (Anyone need one?)
I then glued and screwed the top plate to the base so perhaps my plinths are more lossy than the originals? Just a thought.

Cheers,
Martin

Tannoy 6 Series

Martin,

You seem to know a lot about the Tannoy six series, and stated that you had electronic copies of manuals for all of them. I'm a new member, still under moderation, so can't email you. I wouldn't mind an email copy of the 609 manual though.

I have a pair of Tannoy 609's (bought second hand in 1992 in Plymouth). Do you know how can I ascertain if these are Mk1 or Mk 2? There are no markings or labels on the speaker boxes (apart from their serial numbers).

Also, do you know where I can source replacement speakers? I suspect that one of my tweeters may have blown.

Many thanks,
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.