Morel Mw 267

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend of mine got a pair of these, and I've been pondering how to make best use of them. I have, however , never used Morel drivers, and to my knowledge never been close to one either.........
Anyone got any experience with this driver..????
Qts is 0.42... slightly high for ported cab's.. or????

Hi!

I use this drivers. IHHO this is one of the best woofer I know, and i can tell you I have tried a lot!
Some may say the THD or other figures are not as good as the SEAS exel for example but when it come to listening, no wonder wich ne is the best!
They need a rather high volume between 40 to 50L each. fortunately the vent can have a large Diam but could be short.
You have to tune up to your taste between 30 to 40Hz.

They can be crossed at 6db for a starting point but they need a very neutral cabinet because they move a lot of air...

You can even use them in 2 ways with MDT33 for example.

@+
Mickael

Any of those would form an excellent 2-way with a 'tweeter' (or fullrange unit as tweeter) with low enough fs. (resonant freq).

I used Morel mw113 with electrostatic panels.....(still use the panels, but blasted the cone out of one mw113 with a deadly hum...:(

Hi!

The Qts is someting, but the most importnat thing is the this value:

Qts^2xVAS because basicly, it is the unitary volume you need to know for the enclosure.

1 - For Morel sepcs it is 11L (I am very confident in that value...)
2 - For those specs (I think you found these ones)
MW-267 Fs-25Hz, Qts-.33, Vas-113, 90dB, 200W
This value is 12.3L

The variation is 12% more which is a small, if considered the measurment system and the tolerance of the driver itself.

So I still advice you an enclosure somewhere between 45/50L tuned at 35/40Hz depends on your taste more or less boost on the lowest Bass.

You can use:
1 - Tweeter with a low Fs to match it in 2ways, Scanspeaker 9700 soft dome (not the ring) or Morel MDT33. I don't suggest the SEAS with Low Fs except maybe the 27TDF (FS 500Hz) because most of them use ferofluide with is IMHO not really suitable for low Xover point (arround 1500Hz).
The final sound will remind you the hold JBL in 80's or someing like that in the tonal balance...
2 - Wide range, I did not try that solution bout i am not sur it will work because the sensitivity of the Morel is rather high compare with many WR drivers (i.e. TB Speaker). In addition the 10kHz and above frequency range will have poor dispertion this may lead to a the sound of JBL in the early 70's if you see what I mean...
In terme of price it could be the cheapest solution however...

For the 10.1, I really doubt you can use it in 2 ways expext if you plan to use a WR for mids and Highs...

@+
Mickael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.