Audyssey MultEQ XT Digital Room Correction - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2008, 10:17 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Pah???

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN
Pah, Audyssey is toy EQ.

Of course, Shin, you haven't heard my line source BG dipoles w/wo multieq, so attitude???

Since I've spent extensive time with passive efforts to improve room acoustics, perhaps I don't need multi $$$$ computer active digital manipulation to achieve audio nirvana...

Click the image to open in full size.

John L.
Old 14th February 2008, 10:25 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Pah???

Quote:
Originally posted by auplater

Of course, Shin, you haven't heard my line source BG dipoles w/wo multieq, so attitude???

Since I've spent extensive time with passive efforts to improve room acoustics, perhaps I don't need multi $$$$ computer active digital manipulation to achieve audio nirvana...

John L.
Indeed, I must concede that yours is bigger.

The junk built in to the receivers is girly EQ though. If your impressed with that, then things can only get better eh?
Old 15th February 2008, 12:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default junk

One man's junk is another man's treasure...

Size does matter in acoustics...

I'm only trying to impress my girlie, so I guess this is all the eq. I need...

John L.
Old 15th February 2008, 01:00 PM   #14
arc2v is offline arc2v  United States
diyAudio Member

Audyssey is great for non-resonant rooms. I lost the link, but Ethan Winer of RealTraps did a writeup where he debunks their claim of lowering the ringing in a room. It doesn't. Hence why they even say that the room has have a good RT60 time before using the Audyssey system.

As an installer (regular wire guy, not an "Audyssey" installer), I find that people love this system. It makes an audible difference and its best benefit is that it intelligently averages over several spots so that it doesn't just fix the sweet spot and leave peaks and nulls for everyone else.

That all being said, it's not a magic bullet. I was considering getting a standalone for my system, but it's just not worth the cost ($2k+). However, if the receiver or preamp you get has it installed, by all means, use it.

My research into it now has me looking at the Behrninger DCX2496 crossover -- since it has Xover, delay, gain, and parametric EQ. The setup will more difficult, but in the end I think I can get a better result. Besides, the DIY is most of the fun
Old 15th February 2008, 01:06 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN
Pah, Audyssey is toy EQ.

What's the best? Acourate with Console and an FIR convolution engine?
Old 22nd February 2008, 01:02 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m0tion

None at all and a great room/speaker combo. But failing that then yes, that's the best, most flexible I've come across so far.
Old 22nd February 2008, 01:39 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
None at all and a great room/speaker combo.
Heh, cute...
Old 22nd February 2008, 01:45 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Wasn't trying to be funny, its the truth. For the rest of us there's DRC or better yet physical treatments and a bit low end DRC.
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:33 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default $$$?

Quote:
Originally posted by m0tion

And how much moola is involved in this quest for nirvana?

Acourate = $500.00
Computer = $750.00 minimum for older pentium class with associated sound card <=WAG
??? hrs spent screwing around with software, etc.

Looks like an interesting project... don't have time to do this.

I continue to be surprised at the sonic improvements I've achieved with the audyssy app included in my Denon receiver. Sure it has limitations, but with extended listening, I can clearly hear room mode suppresion vs. non-corrected listening, plus inner details are further enhanced over what was already an excellent sounding system. Each instrument in even marginally recorded material is revealed to maximum effect.

My personal experience thus far would indicate one should work first to minimize room - speaker problems as much as possible, then apply room eq. as an enhancement. I doubt it's the panacea that so much marketing hype indicates, but I have experienced a noticeable improvement perceptually (as have several untrained listeners who spontaneously offered their views), with typical comments of "I've never heard low notes like that"... "..it sounds like a live concert" etc.

Of course, ymmv

John L.
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:37 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

For the hardware? You could do it for $600 I think. For the software? Well... Console is ~$100, Acourate is ~$500 (ridiculous if you ask me), and there are some free FIR convolution engines (not sure which Shin uses). You also need a measurement mic and preamp, so, ~$50 for the ECM8000 and ~$50 for some small preamp. Of course this is with a bare minimum soundcard, you could drop as much as $2000 on just that if you like. Maybe the whole budget shooting match for $1400 shipped?

Hide this!Advertise here!