Do edgarhorns and noobs mix? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Dan_ed is offline Dan_ed  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Do edgarhorns and noobs mix?

Hello all,

My first post here as I start into the world of DIY audio. I'm an experinced amateur woodworker and audiophool. For my first trick I'd like to perform the building of some titan II's (I believe that is what Bruce is selling as kits). I've visited Volvotreter's page quite often and the pictures of his build have answered many of my questions regarding the mid-bass cabinets.

Where I'm not sure of how to proceed is with the upper baffle that contains the mid compression driver and tweeter. Or if a baffle is needed at all. I've seen some horn implementations that just use small mounting structures for these, but I'm not sure which approach is the best.

For those who have built edgarhorns in the past, did you find it necessary to go through prototype stages?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 13th November 2006, 07:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default another question

I have heard of many people filling the baffle of the 80Hz horn with sand to dampen and add weight. That seems like an awful lot of sand! Could I use some other dampening material instead? Something like the stuff GR Research sells, blackhole and No Rez?
Old 14th November 2006, 08:21 AM   #3
DorinD is offline DorinD  Romania
diyAudio Member

See my free style implementation from Edgarhorns:

http://www.hi-fi.ro/fhifi/viewtopic....5278&start=120

For mids and hi's I use CD horn and bullet tweeter in free air, small baffle for tweeter and a fixing frame.

In the future I intend to change the bullet type supertweeter with a slot type tweeter (like Selenium ST324-322) or a compression tweeter (like Beyma CP25) to pair the orizontal dispersion of the rest.
Old 14th November 2006, 02:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi dorind,

Very nice! You are the second person who has mentioned going away from the bullet tweeter. I hope to find out for myself soon.

Did you do any dampening to the midbass horn?
Old 14th November 2006, 02:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Do you have drawing for that bass unit? I would be interested in reviewing the dwgs for an upcoming project.
Old 14th November 2006, 09:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

chip, we're you asking me or dorind?
Old 14th November 2006, 10:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
chip, we're you asking me or dorind?
I'm not particular... I would take some bass horn plans from anybody.

I am looking to build some bass horn units this winter to go with a tractrix mid horn & tweeter. Some the horn plans are just "too too" in terms of construction.
Old 15th November 2006, 02:26 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I don't have any plans. I'm pretty much buying the 80Hz horn from Bruce Edgar to use for the midbass. I'll have to work out the frame and cabinet once the horn gets here. I have a good idea of what it needs to be and how to brace it internally but the details will have to wait.

I think there may be some plans online somewhere for something like the Klipsch horns.
Old 15th November 2006, 08:58 AM   #9
DorinD is offline DorinD  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hi Dan,
Indeed, I have done seriuos work dampening midbas horns.
First, my clones are downsized from the original 50Hz to more maneageable 70Hz ones (1:1.4 scaled) but use almost the same width for material. Second, the interior surface of driver backroom is completely painted with bitum (from an auto-paint shop) and filled with damping fabrics (watelline). Third, about 6kg of Dynamat type treatment was done on the most exposed to vibration surfaces (driver's visiting panel, horn mouth, very high presure throath, etc.).
End the effect was great: more clear sound and some eficiency increase.

Hi Chipco,
You can find Bruce Edgar's "Show Horn" plans on the volvotreter site (download section).
Old 15th November 2006, 01:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

There you go, Chipco. I took another look at Volvotreter's download pages. There are plans for the show horn, like DorinD's, and the Klipsch-based horns. I even found a plan that could help me out. His 150 Hz midbass is very similar to what I'll be doing for the 80 Hz horn. Except, I don't have to build the horn! I did consider buiding the horn but I'm not sure I would save much over what Bruce sells it for.

Thanks for the information, DorinD. I can apply that knowledge to my cabinets. Bruce mentioned also about getting at least 1" of sand around the mouth of the horn. I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I could maybe build some compartments around the perimeter, fill them with sand and close them up.

Hide this!Advertise here!