Speakers From An Old Sony Compact Disc Deck Receiver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to the creative minds of diyaudio

I have a total of eight speakers

two ss-h991 (left and right speakers)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

two ss-sr991 (surround speakers)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

two ss-h991g looks the same as the first speaker except that it is gray
two ss-sr991g also gray and looks the same as the ss-sr991

When I was looking for amplifiers, I found that most of the amplifiers locally available (here in the Philippines) has two outputs for the left channel and two for the right channel, and one output each for the center, rear left and rear right.

Originally, I was planning to buy a 5.1 surround amplifier so I planned on connecting the ss-h991 and the ss-h991g to the left channel and the other two for the right. And the ss-sr991 speakers to the rear left and rear right channels, and one ss-sr991g as the center speaker. But when I was doing my research I thought it would be best if I would buy a 7.1 surround amplifier and just buy a center speaker. Using the same setup for the left and right channel but using the ss-sr991g as a rear left and rear right and using the ss-sr991 as the side left and side right speakers.

When I was reading I read about the symmetry of the speakers and their balance - that they are made to match each other. I was wondering if I have to look for certain specs for the center speaker so that it will match the speakers that I have. I was trying to google about buying tips for speakers but I found nothing on this topic. Any suggestions or point me to any articles that might help me?

I was also wondering if the left and right channels will be overpowering the other speakers since two speakers (and it is larger than the surround speakers) will be attached to the said channels. My guess is that the amplifiers I found, which has two outputs each for the left and right channels, is meant for stereo because it is the main use of the amplifier - to play cds, radio, and videoke. It is seldomly used for surround sound.

If I am going to build my own center speaker, any pointers or design concepts that I should keep in mind would be greatly appreciated.

I was first aiming to build my own 7.1 speaker amplifier but I fear that it would cost me more to build it than to buy one since I found a Konzert 5.1 surround amplifier for around $65 I am just trying to use my old speakers and maybe have a better sounding computer sound that the 7.1 systems for computers from logitech, creative, and altec lansing.

I am planning to buy an x-fi extreme music for decoding needs.

overloaded by information from this forums,

Borgs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.