Open-Baffle dipoles...a heresy to pair PA drivers w/ home drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am acquiring a pair of Seas W18Es in a trade, already have a pair of Usher 9845s and BG Neo3s and have been contemplating building a pair of open-baffle towers for a while and was just recommended to look at the Eminence Alpha 15As for lower midbass and lower/mid midrange duty.

How do PA speakers like this measure up to the Dayton Reference 8s/10s in terms of dynamics, distortion, and transient response?

1, maybe 2 per side crossed at 60/80hz up to 300/600hz on a 24" baffle. (They are going to be crossed over from an Ava 18" in an LLT sonotube on the low-end and crossed over to a pair of Seas W18Es on the high end)

Can PA speakers compete with the best home has to offer? Would it be better to go with a different midrange than the Seas W18E, in favor of another PA driver?

I'm looking for the utmost fidelity, not necessarily all-out SPL (after all this is a dipole project and im not a DJ)

Im planning on purchasing a DEQ2496 or some sort of equalizer so I dont think that will be a problem.

Other than having to compensate with equalization, are there any other drawbacks? Would I run into thermal compression or lose efficiency by using this driver? It has over double the linear excursion of the Alpha 15 and looks to be built much better.

I've never gotten a direct answer, but are these PA drivers really low distortion? Do they compete with the levels of distortion in this passband with home drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.