Amature Design - Feedback? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2006, 05:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amature Design - Feedback?

Hi guys,

I am new to this whole thing and I have sketched up a wall mount design for my office that I am looking for feedback on.

Click the image to open in full size.

They are loosely based on the slimline wall mount speakers from ZaphAudio.com in that they attempt to have a similar volume and shape. I am thinking of the Bi-Vi B3S and the Dayton ND20TB.

My questions are:

1. Is this design worth building / how can it be improved?
2. How do I design the filter/crossover?
3. Can anyone suggest a subwoofer design that would let me use these with a 2x100 Watt stereo receiver (Price being a large factor)?

Thanks in advance,

~Nathaniel
Old 7th November 2006, 06:29 PM   #2
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Nathaniel;

Answers to your questions:

1. Yes/by building Zaph's design as specified At the *very* least, by mounting the tweeter and woofer as close as possible to each other.

2. You measure the drivers in box, then import the measurements into design software, and use it to design a crossover filter that uses each in its optimal operating range, and compensates for frequency irregularities/in-passband driver resonances

3. Sure, buy an 8" driver from mach5 audio, and the cheapest plate amp you can get your hands on, probably from MCM electronics, I think they have a $50 one. Then design the box using winISD, or other box modelling software, and build it. The problem is, if all you can use to power your mains is a stereo receiver, you will need some sort of outboard crossover to highpass the mains, This will proabbly cost you at least $50.

It sounds like you are trying to do a simple, cost effective design. If you are using the same drivers, same application as Zaph's speaker, you really should just build it as designed. If you can't swing the angled box, build a rectangular box with the same baffle size and internal volume. This will still give better results than anything you can come up with yourself.

If you don't wnat to do that for whatever reason, and just want something simple, get a CSS FR125 driver, or try the cheaper TangBand Bamboo clone, and put it in a slightly larger box. Won't need a filter, and will do OK without a sub. If you can't do a larger box, do an Aurasound NS4-193 in the box in your original post, you can use Zaph's filter (see the archives section of his site), or just run it filterless.

hope that helps some
Old 7th November 2006, 06:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Couple more graphics

Old 7th November 2006, 08:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Morbo,

Thanks for the feedback.

I would like the design to have the shape and angels in my design because it will "match" some of the furniture I have built for the room. It is essentially the same shape and volume as Zaph's except he uses rounded corners where I want hard angels.

The other option is Polk R50 bookshelf speakers... do you think that these will sound better? Am I better off just buying an 8" sub or building one?

Hide this!Advertise here!