change color of speaker cone?, how

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gychang said:
I have a black coned speaker and would like to change to white, is there a recommended way of doing this?, I am sure latex paint may not be ideal...

thanks,

gychang

Might take too much paint to cover the black. Several coats could add enough mass to change drivers' dynamics.

However I've successfully painted a yellow kevlar cone black using acrylic craft paint. Covered in one thin coat. Almost a year now and no problems.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use these pens sometimes for marking stuff, I think it would take forever to make your black cones white with one of these.

I think the possibility of damage doing these sorts of things to a speaker cone are pretty high.

You will also significantly increase the cone mass of this driver, anything you apply will do this, if it is a low mass cone the Fs & qts will probably change significantly to drastically. Higher mass cones will have less of an issue.

I have varnished the cones/dust caps in radio shack minimus 7's with no ill effect, but probably got lucky.

Unless these are cheap speakers you are willing to risk damaging I'd leave them alone and live with black cones.

kevinkr said:
I use these pens sometimes for marking stuff, I think it would take forever to make your black cones white with one of these.

I think the possibility of damage doing these sorts of things to a speaker cone are pretty high.

You will also significantly increase the cone mass of this driver, anything you apply will do this, if it is a low mass cone the Fs & qts will probably change significantly to drastically. Higher mass cones will have less of an issue.

I have varnished the cones/dust caps in radio shack minimus 7's with no ill effect, but probably got lucky.

Unless these are cheap speakers you are willing to risk damaging I'd leave them alone and live with black cones.

These are $11/each speakers and willing to experiement...

gychang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.