DIY High Efficiency Bi-amped Speaker redesign - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2006, 11:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY High Efficiency Bi-amped Speaker redesign

I currently have a setup utilizing an Eminence psd2002 horn driver, H290 radial horn, and dual 12" Eminence Delta 12LFA woofers. I use a Behringer DCX2496 to cross them over, and use a Behringer EP2500 for the woofer amp, and a Samson Servo 200 for the tweeter amp. The design is actually a 2.5 way, with the bottom woofer rolling off around 350hz using a series inductor. In the picture you can see the first revision (with a single woofer and a passive crossover) and the way it is in its current state.
Click the image to open in full size.

As you can imagine, the main issue is sound quality. You may ask why if sound quality is the issue, why I dont build a proven design using home drivers. Well, I already have the prosound drivers, and I like the ability to crank the system to extreme levels with little distortion. This setup is being used in my home theater, and while the sound quality is good, I would like it to be better. Going from the first revision of the speaker to its current state made a large difference (for the better) in sound quality, so I hope the following will do the same.

What I was thinking was to convert the system to an MTM, since the baffle step compensation is really not needed in the room they are in. Plus, the advanced features with the DCX2496 make it easy to implement it if needed in the future. This would allow me to place the drivers closer together also. Here's a (bad) mspaint example of how it might look
Click the image to open in full size.

I was also thinking that upgrading the horn lenses from a Radial type to a Constant Directivity would be much better for the high frequencies. Going with this horn lens in particular http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...90-556&scqty=2

Does anyone have any recommendations on this idea? To be honest, I do not think I have ever seen an MTM using prosound drivers like this, so Im not sure what to expect.

Thanks
Old 6th November 2006, 05:28 PM   #2
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What I was thinking was to convert the system to an MTM, since the baffle step compensation is really not needed in the room they are in. Plus, the advanced features with the DCX2496 make it easy to implement it if needed in the future. This would allow me to place the drivers closer together also. Here's a (bad) mspaint example of how it might look
I was inspired to start research on a pro driver after I saw a JBL L100 remake.

First, I do not think that you will be happy with an MTM, using your drivers. The MTM configuration Makes the system more sensitive to driver center to center distances. A horn Tweeter also increases the distance between woofers.

If you try it, use the 8'th order LR filters on the dcx2496 and keep the drivers as close to each other as possible.

I agree that you need to replace the horn.
I would look at:Parts Express 12" waveguide or something similar.

Just my thoughts, but converting to a 3 way with a 6 or 8 inch midrange would allow a much smoother midrange and less stress on the tweeter, without loosing the advantages of your current system.

Hope this helps;

Doug

Hide this!Advertise here!